Routing turntable via audio interface - Audio quality question

glitch_man

Hi,

Relatively new to the scene. Looking for some insight on my predicament!

Equipment:
Digidesign Mbox 2
Gem Sound GT-USB Turntable

I have been researching and reading forum posts on the internet and have come to this understanding. When taking and compressing an audio file you lose in regards to sound quality, so with that logic I'd rather not use the USB method to capture sound as I've heard this process can produce lackluster sound. What setup up could I possibly utilize in order to achieve a much better sound resolution?

This turntable does have an option to switch from phono to line (assuming that means it has built-in preamp), and from what I thought you could do is just use some something like an RCA ran into the back of the interface?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!!

Last edited:
Yes. Exactly. Try it out.

The MBox is not the best vehicle, but it will get you from point A to point B.

GJ

USB does not mean it's somehow compressing the sound. It just means that there's a built-in audio interface in your turntable. The quality of the conversation is another thing (although pretty much any modern converter is fairly ok at least) - but then again, the Mbox's converters aren't exactly high-end either. But the main point was that simply using USB will not result in "lackluster sound". The turntable itself is so cheap that it will contribute to any lackluster-ness much more than the integrated interface will.

Back