Roland JD Xi vs Juno DS 61

What's your goal with this "adventure"? If you want to learn synthesis, both of these are, well, fairly confusing for newcomers in the sense of actually understanding what's going on under the hood...but if you just want "everything" in one package, I guess they're kind of ok.

What's your goal with this "adventure"? If you want to learn synthesis, both of these are, well, fairly confusing for newcomers in the sense of actually understanding what's going on under the hood...but if you just want "everything" in one package, I guess they're kind of ok.
Do you have advice on what would be a good beginners synth?

I'd probably look at the Korg Monologue/Minilogue/MS-20, the Novation Bass Station II, the Arturia Micro/Minibrute, the Roland Boutique series modules or the System-1, the criteria being that they're available new from the shops at a reasonably cheap price, and they all have more or less hands-on, per-parameter controls. Of course, a lot of them are monophonic and all of them are less versatile (as far as the range of sounds go) than either the Juno DS or the JD-Xi, but I'd take any of those over them. Of course, somewhat contrary to popular belief, good synthesizers tend not to be able to "conjure any sound imaginable", but are rather limited in what they're able to do. Which is of course why synth fetishists tend to have a shitload of different synths :)

The Roland JD-XI is great value considering it's power, maybe the best when getting started. Vocoder is great, as well as drum samples and synths. Editing can be difficult due to menu diving.

I believe the DS61 has had some LCD screen issues.

Back