Recording through audio interface

Alright, here's my question. I'm trying to record sound I make with Kontakt. I tried the line emulation programe which ads a line in in your windows sound so you can select that and record it, but the latency is just too big.
So, what I try to do is use a tascam us-100 and an echo audio gina , hooked to the same computer, hardwired with a record cable from one of the line outs of one card to the line in of the other card. I tried every possible setup between the two cards and I tried every different cable with different qualities. I can't seem to get it to record without a very irritating noize on the background. The recording ain't clear, lot's of static.
Is this due to one of the pre amps in the soundcards? Is this due to the fact both soundcards are hooked to the same computer?
If it's the quality of one of the soundcards, I'd have no problem upgrading it. I'd be looking at an A/I of 300 bucks more or less then.

The focusrite scarlet 8i6
Roland ua-55
Native instruments komplete audio 6
Avid mbox

Echo audiofire 12 is about 600 bucks

rme fireface 800 bucks

Which are a bit outside of my price range.

Will I get the quality of recording kontakt through two A/Is that I'm looking for?
Is there just one A/I that can play and make me record kontakt properly?

Then is one of these A/Is gonna give me a proper pre amp for also recording a microphone?

Last edited:
Because Reason is my main DAW and I use Kontakt for the samplemodeling sax stuff combined with an EWI.
I rewired it with a cable from one a/i to the other and got too much hiss/static/noize.

Have made a list of A/Is from best to less best (according to my subjective internet search) that I'm looking to upgrade to:

RME babyface (bit too expensive for my upgrade)
Motu ultralite
Mbox
Steinberg ur22 or ur44
TC electronic impact twin

The steinberg looks like giving most bang for the buck with the ur22. After that, the mbox , the tc electronic and the ur44 all come around the 300 buck price range. Motu ultralite is a bit more expensive and then comes the babyface.

fast track c400 for 170 bucks, mackie onyx blackjack for 154, focusrite scarlet for around same price are also some contenders. Although, I doubt they're any better then the ur22 from steinberg. Read some reviews and forum posts and then concluded with the list of this dude , at the bottom: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...azing-preamps-200-300-suggestions-needed.html .
Probably all very subjective.
You do read a lot about RME and Motu being proper. Mbox too. Not so much on the steinberg A/Is. Even less on TC electronic. If I want the cheapest of this bunch I'd probably go for the UR22 or the Mackie blackjack.
Around 255 you have the mbox which looks pretty good.
TC electronic around 300 as does the ur44. I don't know if this still sounds attractive to me and not get the motu instead of these two.

Still wonder and doubt if this'll solve the problem.

Last edited:
Which version of Reason are you using???

sounds to me like you need to use a vst host to launch kontakt and use the virtual wiring that you can do using both reason 7 and that vst host to incorporate the output of kontakt - i.e. you are trying too hard to make this work - going in and out of the ad|da conversion process is not helping you or your sound

Yeah, I'm on reason 7.1 .
I don't exactly get how you wanna launch kontakt in a vst host. I use kontakt as host atm and launch the samplemodeling (Sample Modeling | Products) stuff in there.
You say you can launch kontakt running a samplemodeling library instrument in a vst host that can give me a virtual output which i can select as input in a reason audio track? Any example of a vst that can do that? Any free ones?
I absolutely don't get why kontakt just doesn't have an easy record function.
Anyway, I would really like to be able to record whatever I'm playing with kontakt into reason , or into audacity or something, but directly into reason would be better.

I tried this vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_yxhzL9diY
But the echo audio interface has the downside that it can't handle two outputs at the same time of two different inputs. Then you'd think it'd still would have to work through the output of reason only, as you softwire kontakt to reason, but it doesn't. I can launch the midi instrument, but then can't select kontakt as input.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand a bit more about VST now :D (yeah, reason user :sigh:)
I run kontakt as a vsti now (correct me if i'm wrong) in mulab or reaper. Mulab's free, reaper will have a nag screen that makes you wait longer the further you're past the 60day trial, afai understand.
Running this on ASIO while running Reason on ASIO on the same PC at the same time is not possible. While searching I found out that's one of the shortcomings of ASIO. I knew that happens but didn't know it was a limit to ASIO, thought it was a limit of my A/I. I don't like asio4all. It usually bugs the f* out when I set it up in different ways in rapid succesion. Any other audio driver gives me too much latency, like directsound, to like it while live playing.
Loopbe, that I tried, gave me too much latency as well. So it's not an option to put the sound through to reason that way.
Problem a bit is that I want to hear reason and whatever I'm playing with konakt , through the same speakers or headphone.
Is there a thing that I overlook that causes the latency?
Otherwise, I'm just gonna use my laptop to run kontakt in mulab or reaper and use reason on my pc.
I'm probably gonna upgrade my portable A/I from the tascam us 100 to a better one though. Not sure which one though. Still have to figure out what it's worth for me, what I'm willing to spend on it. For now, I think the steinberg will offer the best bang for your buck, then the next stup from that would be one of the 300 bucks price range. Then the baby face and the ultralite at round 500 to 600 bucks as the best of the bunch I listed.

Last edited:
You can use ReWire to virtually connect MuLab/Reaper to Reason even when using ASIO. This is basically what bandcoach was talking about with the "virtual wiring".

Yeah, I looked into that, but apparently you can only rewire reason to other daws, where Reason will be in slave mode. You can't run mulab or reaper to reason , where reason would be the host. Is that right?

use the new audio interface inside of reason 7 - you should be able to route audio to it - there is a demo vid somewhere at propheadz site showing how to do this

I can't find that vid or anything that resembles it. Tried looking for it in google as well.
I already have a gina 3g and tascam us 100 hooked up, should be able to already do it, right?

Back