Recommendations for MIDI Pad

TheGiRatina

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a multi-purpose MIDI pad - with keypads, drum pads, synths, buttons, sliders...
Currently I have an AKAI MPD218, tried it for a cheap drum pad. I don't really like the buttons, they're not as sensitive as I thought they'd be.
I'm getting uncomfortable using my computer keyboard as a keypad, too, so I want a MIDI pad to primarily have a key pad.

My college has pads which are greatly discounted for students and graduates (I am a graduate). Pads that caught my attention are:
M-AUDIO COD 25 - I love it's multi-purpose structure. It costs 240$.
IMPULSE 25 (by novation) - Same as above. I didn't find a price tag on it, not sure how much it costs or is worth compared to the above pad.
AKAI MPK Mini - It's cheap, but I heard its keypads are spring-bouncy. Costs 100$.

I need a pad which has a "natural" and most importantly sensitive feeling to it.
The MPD218 fails at sensitivity, and the MPK Mini may fail in a natural feeling. Not sure about the sensitivity.

Well, enough talking from my side as I am no professional in MIDI Pads. I'd love to hear advice from you.
Thanks for the help!

The Impulse is about $199 afaik. They're fairly ok, but so is everything else at this price range...I'd skip the Akai - their primary purpose is being small and able to fit in a bag, but they're not really nice to play on. The Code seems ok, but I haven't tried it. I assume you simply mean a keyboard with "keypad" - the keybed (the keybed is the underlying structure on which the actual keys lie upon) feel is a pretty subjective thing; the only way to figure out which one you like is to try them out.

Do note that the sensitivity usually can be adjusted to some degree. It won't obviously change the physical properties of the pad itself, but it changes how it reacts to being tapped/hit, which can make all the difference.

Back