Question

Firstly I apologize if this is the wrong section for this, I looked over the others and still wasn't sure if this was an appropriate place to post. I've been using FL Studio and Ableton for production for the last two years but only recently have I started taking music production more seriously. Whenever I look at pictures of home studios and set ups I see things that I'm clueless about. What are these boxes? Are they just audio interfaces or..? Sorry if the image is too small

I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the purpose of them for me! :-)
Question.png

these are mostly outboard units for compression, eq, pre-amps and filters

others should be able to tell what each piece of gear is

Left hand side, top to bottom:

(top rack)
Furman PL Plus CE (power conditioner)
TC Electronic Finalizer (mastering processor)
SPL Vitalizer Mk2 (mastering processor/enhancer)
RME ADI-8 DS MkIII (a/d converter)
RME Fireface UCX (or some other model, they look pretty similar...audio interface)

(bottom rack)
SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2.1 (monitor controller)
Universal Audio 6176 (channel strip - mic preamp & compressor)

Right hand side, top to bottom:
GML 8200 (mastering EQ)
Waves L2 Ultramaximizer (mastering limiter)

Left hand side, top to bottom:

(top rack)
Furman PL Plus CE (power conditioner)
TC Electronic Finalizer (mastering processor)
SPL Vitalizer Mk2 (mastering processor/enhancer)
RME ADI-8 DS MkIII (a/d converter)
RME Fireface UCX (or some other model, they look pretty similar...audio interface)

(bottom rack)
SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2.1 (monitor controller)
Universal Audio 6176 (channel strip - mic preamp & compressor)

Right hand side, top to bottom:
GML 8200 (mastering EQ)
Waves L2 Ultramaximizer (mastering limiter)

Ah, another question. What's the mastering EQ and the mastering limiter used for? If they're just for EQing and mastering, I thought you could do all of that jazz in your DAW. Thanks for helping a newcomer.

Ah, another question. What's the mastering EQ and the mastering limiter used for? If they're just for EQing and mastering, I thought you could do all of that jazz in your DAW. Thanks for helping a newcomer.

Yes, they do what they say - EQing and limiting. You can also drive a Polo or a Bugatti. Both kind of do the same thing...

Back