Problem with noise when recording guitar

Apostata

Hi guys,

I have a focusrite audio interface, which I bought to hook up my keyboard and specifically to record my guitar. Now I have the problem, that there is always noise when trying to record my guitar into fl studio. From what I have come to understand it is a grounding issue with electricity. What can I do to solve it? I live in an appartment on the 6th floor and have no idea how to get around it. I don't know enough about electricity to fix it myself and haven't found any solutions yet.

Any tipps, help or devices that could solve that are highlyappreciated!

Thx!

it is seriously unlikely to be a grounding or earth loop issue and more like to be radio interference via single coil pickups

however, a diagram illustrating what is in your audio path from the guitar to your daw to your monitors would help me to better understand what you are hearing. Add some audio to that and it would make the picture more complete. And include make, model of guitar and what type of pickups it has to finish the picture off....

it is seriously unlikely to be a grounding or earth loop issue and more like to be radio interference via single coil pickups

however, a diagram illustrating what is in your audio path from the guitar to your daw to your monitors would help me to better understand what you are hearing. Add some audio to that and it would make the picture more complete. And include make, model of guitar and what type of pickups it has to finish the picture off....

Ok, I will try to do that and get it done in the next couple of days, I am quite busy so I will need some time, but thanks for the help :)

Yeah humbucking pickups definitely help, and make sure when you are recording your guitar is away from any fluorescent lighting or old tv's. Those always seemed to give me trouble.

You can also get power strips that cut down on rfi and emi.

With the goods asked for and provided, it's likely BC can diagnose your problem very accurately, but in case you're having trouble posting info and getting photos and audio, I will add:

* Actual electrical/grounding issues? You can make sure that you have/get grounded outlets, plug all of your gear into a power strip or rackmount power that has interference protection circuitry a la Furman or Monster, and/or you can use rackmount or smaller hum elimination units or a "Hum X" wall adaptor. If you're using an amp, sometimes a quick fix is flipping the ground switch; same goes if you're using a DI...

* If it's an actual guitar noise problem, check your cable's integrity, and make sure you're not using one that is too long... If you are paying a Strat or something with single-coils, yeah, humbuckers would help, as might active electronics. Also, try simple things like turning in different directions...

*If it's radio interference, a combination of the above might help...

GJ

ground noise is not a problem.
just record your guitar, play like there is no tomorrow and then do the real trick,
use an expander!!

when you use an expander, you can get a clean sound from about any shitty recording as long as the sound you want to keep is louder then the background noise.

ground noise is not a problem.
just record your guitar, play like there is no tomorrow and then do the real trick,
use an expander!!

when you use an expander, you can get a clean sound from about any shitty recording as long as the sound you want to keep is louder then the background noise.

Never heard of expanders before. Thanks for the tipp!

it's a reversed compressor.
or the trash-holder everybody is looking for.

the easy, but rewarding way out!

but being a guitarplayer myself...
I like to hear some of yours.

Last edited:
it's a reversed compressor.
or the trash-holder everybody is looking for.

the easy, but rewarding way out!

but being a guitarplayer myself...
I like to hear some of yours.

Well, the thing is, since it did not work properly till now, I used samples for guitars, and I am planning of doing a mix of Drum & Bass, Rock / Metal/ Punk, Electro / Neurofunk kind of sound.
But I have not been able to do what I have in my head, because things often didn't work the way I wanted them to.

Do you have a soundcloud account? If yes I will add you and send you something, after trying the reverse Compressor.

before I knew the trick I had problems all the time, but now...

It's a golden ticket!!

An expander is a device similar to a compressor, but, it works the other way around.

Are you looking for something where you can set the trash-hold and lose all that is below?
An expander is the way to go.

It is not a gate, which let in all sound, but it's like a knife which just cuts everything below your settings.
(it doesn't really cut, but reduces the voltage below a certain point (your trash hold), so use the expander a few times on a single sample and every noise will be beyond reach, be aware of the attack time!).

You have been looking for this, and of course there are only a few who will tell you the secret of getting a clean recording.

If you find this helpful,
return the favor and check out my newest soundcloud drops.

I am not a pro sound engineer, so you will hear some issues concerning mastering, but I do know how to make music.
I play drums, keyboard, guitar, know my way around a synthesizer and can write really good stories/poems.

But I will get there, although will never make it to the top.
That is controlled by companies who make big money by selling equipment to make and listen to music.
They owned it from the beginning and pushed their puppets, also knows as popartists.

Hell, I just have fun creating stuff.

Last edited:
Back