Pre amp for Shure sm7b

Olie

Whats the cheapest one that will boost it enough? i've read around it needs +60 DB to be any good. I'm going to be recording line in with my laptop. It's for deep rap vocals, i just want a basic clear sounding recording. (i havn't bought the mic yet but i hear nothing but good reviews, especially for low end rap vocals)

budget is up to $300-400 less if possible.

---------- Post added 04-28-2013 at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-27-2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

im considering buying a DBX 286A

Last edited:
You'd want to grab the preamp you really want... and add something like a Cloudlifter to your setup.

It adds +25 of clean gain to your combo...which will be more than enough to any preamp of your choosing.

reading a lot of advice against external preamps for pc recording, should i instead go for a audio interface with a usb connection. getting lost in this, what would be the best quality option?

---------- Post added 04-30-2013 at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-29-2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

settled on shure sm7b with a cloudlifter and m-audio fast track C400, using pro tools for software.

settled on shure sm7b with a cloudlifter and m-audio fast track C400, using pro tools for software.

First, sorry for the somewhat necro but Olie still posts frequently and I'm looking at the same setup.

Olie, how has this setup performed for you? I saw that shootout at recordinghacks that said he liked the C400 for the sm7b over many other budget interfaces. I was shocked that an m-audio product won in that lineup and I have my doubts about the stock pres given how much gain the sm7b requires so I'm very curious as to how this has worked for you these past several months. I see that you were running this setup with a cloudlifter which I'm sure makes a big difference.

I found an sm7b on CL for $275 and there's also a C400 I can snag from there for $100. This seems like an incredible value for my first microphone and audio interface so curious as to your input before I jump on it.

It sounds really great (although the only other mic i've had is a £20 one) Definitely need the cloud lifter with it - when you do, you have more than enough amp for even whispering. Pretty much any radio show i've seen online that has video with it uses a SM7B. So that's the quality of sound you will get. Really good proximity effect although i found the smaller pop filter ineffective close up (for rap) so i popped another small screen in front and i can get right up to the mic and get lots of bass in my voice. The switches on the back are pretty useful. Gotta say i have pretty much zero complaints, if you have an early Eminem sounding voice perhaps don't go for SM7B but if you have a biggie smalls type voice it's perfect. c400 works fine but its stretching it a tiny bit on its own for the sm7b.

Last edited:
It sounds really great (although the only other mic i've had is a £20 one) Definitely need the cloud lifter with it - when you do, you have more than enough amp for even whispering. Pretty much any radio show i've seen online that has video with it uses a SM7B. So that's the quality of sound you will get. Really good proximity effect although i found the smaller pop filter ineffective close up (for rap) so i popped another small screen in front and i can get right up to the mic and get lots of bass in my voice. The switches on the back are pretty useful. Gotta say i have pretty much zero complaints, if you have an early Eminem sounding voice perhaps don't go for SM7B but if you have a biggie smalls type voice it's perfect. c400 works fine but its stretching it a tiny bit on its own for the sm7b.

cheers bro. I'm jumping on it.

Back