From personal experience which one do you preffer?

3nterprise

I know it has been asked a bunch of times but I'm about to purchase a MAC but PC's are so much cheaper!

Before I invest thousands of dollars, from personal experience which do you preffer?

How much ram do you really need on a mac? 8gb? 16gb?

I switched to Mac about 4 years ago and never looked back. I might be biased here, but I think for everything that involves media and audio production, Mac is leading, although it might seem expensive. To me, it is worth every cent, since I use my MBP pretty much 14 hours a day, basically for everything - audio production, composing, recording, watching shows ... Also, every big studio I have been is Mac-based.

I've stated my opinion around here in the past, but I'll give you the quick version of my experience...

The specs on my PC simply outperform the Macs i saw, unless I was willing to spend upwards of $3,000. I ended up spending a little over $1000 on my PC setup, and it kickstarted my latest music campaign, which is getting more and more profitable. I have no complaints, barely ever deal with instability - never ever a blue screen of death with this one (knock on wood).

I've had Macs straight up die on me after 3 years of utilizing AppleCare (usually the capacitors would blow, almost yearly actually). I lost my entire iTunes library a few years back coz the thing just decided to go limp and never recover. My wife's MacBook is a snail after just 4 years. SMH!!

I've had PCs last a decade. My old Sony VAIO still turns on, and I can access music I made in 2002 on it. Can still run Vegas Pro on it. This new one (Dell) is already 3.5 years old, and its still lightning fast.

Is Mac better than PC? Maybe... But 3x the price better? No way. Not in my exp.

Last edited:
Yeah, no point in comparing the bang-for-buck value of Macs and PCs on specs alone - the PC wins that battle every time.

Macs, on the other hand, usually work very well with minimal tinkering straight out of the box. Since the hardware is the same for everyone, problems tend to be easier to solve, and OSX, imo, is much nicer than Windows. But obviously they're more expensive - if you're after raw power alone, I'd buy a PC. I just like computers I don't have to really think about...and have been using Macs professionally for about 15 years. So Mac it is - for me.

I have a a hackintosh (meaning a PC that runs Windows and Mac OSX) and I can tell you there's nothing really better about the mac operating system, it's a bit cleaner looking than windows especially after the Yosemite update but is it really worth such a large premium? Not really. You could probably buy a decent windows PC for 3/5 the cost and get a similar experience, the only reason I could see getting a mac over a pc for music production is if you wanted to use Logic. You could also build a PC but that's not something you probably are interested in doing. Last 8gb of RAM should be fine you only need more than 8gb if you run virtual machines or do video editing.

If you know nothing about computers I'd actually just buy the mac (depending on which one we're talking about) if it's an 27" iMac you get a great resolution monitor, a keyboard, a mouse, and a great computer all bundled together and you don't have to do any shopping around or know anything about computer specs.

If you know your way around software, understand how windows is setup, and if you know your way around hardware in case of a desktop over a laptop, windows pc would win.
If your a no hassle kind a guy, don't fiddle around too much, just want your computer to work, reliable, mac could be your thing.
It's hard to compare though. Pre built pcs can get very expensive. I build em myself. Then I have full control over what hardware I put in them. I'm a perfectionist and want to have control over where my money gets spent. I also live in europe. When computers came accesible for the public, we didn't have much mac shizzle around over here. When we did get macs, you couldn't fiddle around with it at all. I enjoyed building pcs and being able to do with it what I wanted.
So far, I would never choose a mac over a properly built pc. So much more advantages over a pc for me then a mac.

Last edited:
Back