PC Running stupid slow, what is the weak link?

crimsonhawk47

So I have a gaming computer and a studio computer. The latter has an interface.
My gaming computer runs way faster, even with less RAM, even though this studio computer is relatively blank and new. My studio computer is getting -9073 errors for no reason at all (can't get audio from the drive fast enough). The drive is 7200 rpm.
This was a brand new computer with a shit graphics card, but everything else was fine. Today I opened up Pro Tools and it froze. A new comp should not be freaking out this much.
Some specs: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Intel Core I7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 ghz 16 gigs of ram
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX.

I know the cpu itself isn't anything to brag about, but it certainly shouldnt be crashing my comp on a Pro Tools start up.
I only kind of know about computer builds. I know a shit ton about using them, but anything that you think might be obvious for me to check is probably not obvious to me. I've never built my own pc.
I'm also not using an external hard drive. This is because the only hard drive I had could not be windows AND mac compatible without formatting to fat32, which basically means the 7200rpm doesn't mean shit. It runs slower than my internal drive, so I don't use an external anymore. I just store stuff on there to bring places.

Back