Oxygen 49 & PadKontrol vs Akai MPK49

DWKNS

SWIL
Hey ladies and gents,

I'm slowly building my small studio and need some advice regarding my MIDI hardware. Right now I'm using an acorn masterkey 25. Let's just say it's time for me to upgrade. I'm working with FL studio for production and Pro Tools for everything else. Mainly making hip-hop and r&b inspired music. (just in case this information is helpful).

My question: should I go with a MIDI controller that has all the bells and whistles like the MPK49? I've ran into a few local people selling them for anywhere between $280-400 (Canadian $). Or should I go with a cheaper solution and go with an Oxygen 49 for the keys and faders/sliders (see them going from like $75-$100) and a PadKontrol for the pads (see them going for like $100)?

As I'm mostly just starting out I don't necessarily need any crazy features right now but with experience will come the need for more features. I'm also not fussy about the feel of the keys

Thanks in advance for your advice

All the best to my local future producers.

I think it's better to buy padkontrol and oxygen. You will then have 100 bucks in your pocket and i think that pads on padkontrol are better than at mpk and also it has some more features and oxygen 49 will be good for just playing keys. You also have faders, they can come in handy. But you decide, this is just my opinion.

I think it's better to buy padkontrol and oxygen. You will then have 100 bucks in your pocket and i think that pads on padkontrol are better than at mpk and also it has some more features and oxygen 49 will be good for just playing keys. You also have faders, they can come in handy. But you decide, this is just my opinion.

Appreciate the opinion. I agree, having a board and pads seems beneficial, plus an extra $100 in my pocket that I can put towards something else. Wondering if anyone else sees a long-term benefit of getting the mpk49 over the oxygen and padkontrol.

Picked up an MPK today for $300. I know I really wanted this and wouldn't have felt as nice if I settled with the oxygen and padkontrol to save $100 or a little less. This is definitely a longer-term investment and find it's better to have my keys and pads in one piece of hardware considering the small space I'm working with. Time to learn this bad boy in and out.

If anyone's considering looking into the MPK and has any questions feel free to post, I'll help where I can.

Hey DWK, let me know how the 49 works out for you, I will be getting it today as well. I also bought a sensitivity upgrade kit for the pads on eBay that might you might look into if you want more responsive pads since I've read everywhere that the pads are the only downside for the keyboard.

Back