Novation Remote SL MKII

Fantastic controller. I think I may have wrote a review.

I've owned the keyboard versions. Had a 49 key, and just swapped it with a 61 key. The keyboard is the best I've felt on a midi controller period. It's a personal thing of course... but the Fatar keys on the Novation beat each of the competition I've tried out.

You're talking about the remote version though, which is the same as the keyboard version just with no keys. The controls feel great. I love how smooth the knobs and rotaries are. They behave how they should. You can really anticipate what the twist is going to do, which is key for writing automation. The buttons feel amazing.... soft but not spongy. I personally like the faders also. Some people say they are cheap... I disagree.

Automap works pretty good IMO. It takes a few moments to switch between Mixer/ Instrument/ Plugin mode if you automap plugins and the DAW and flip back n forth between em on your computer. However... the response time isn't too bad. I like the fact that you can select a plugin from the controller and tweak, without actually pulling the plugin up on your computer. That's a nice feature. The only gripe I have is that it only has one LED screen. They did that to keep costs down... and it can be a little annoying using the right side of your controller but having to look to the left for the screen.

Also.. Automap is a wrapper function. It's supposed to wrap the VST and show you only the Automap version in your DAW. Sometimes it doesn't do this and it shows both the Automap version and the original plug, hence doubling them up in your list. Annoying, but not a deal breaker to me.

Overall... I think it's a great controller.

Back