No display setup

Koen Tuin

Well I'm trying to build a new studio from scratch, I'm coming from an keyboard and guitar player background. Therefore I'm really into the idea of producing and recording music with looking as less as possible to the PC. So I'm looking for a complete midi setup to use with my Mac mini in logic pro.

So far i've looked into these products:
-akai advance 61 (main keyboard/vst controller
-mpc touch/mpd232 (drums and sampling)
-panorama p1 (mixing and edditing sounds)

So what do you think of these products, would thuis work wel together, and how could I set this set up.
Or do you have some other recommendations that would be beter suited for a displayless setup?

Thanks for your help!!!

I grew up with a 4-track tape recorder so I know where you're coming from - not wanting to be tied to a cpu screen.
I separate music making into two phases 1) Production and 2) Post-production
My main weapon of choice is Maschine which I can operate 80% of functions with the laptop lid down.
I don't...
I tend to use the screen a lot more than that - but the option is there.
But even if I'm not using the laptop screen - I'll probably look at the 2 screens on Maschine a fair bit and tbh I'm not sure what the diference is... (?) I think you'll find the same (if not moreso) with the MPC Touch.

I looked at the Nektar P1 a while back but decided that the short-throw faders would not give enough fine control over levels and automations...
I went instead with the Presonus Faderport and it's single 100mm motorised fader.
For the price, it's a very good little piece which leaves plenty of real-estate on my desk.
I'm happy to use a mouse for the plugin control the P1 offers.

That said... You could maybe look at the P4 or P6 in exchange of the P1 and Akai advance61 and you get all the plugin functionality of the P1, plus a better keyboard and a 100mm motorised fader...

But when it come to it... You're gonna look at the screen. There's always times when you pretty much have to.

I always had great admiration for what Maschine is putting on the market. From what I've seen it is definitely something that allows you to have great workflow without looking at your screen. Would be good for you to watch some youtubes on Maschine workflow. Never went that way as that would mean I'd have to learn the Maschine while I already can do that all with Reason and my midi controllers. I don't hava problem with keyboard and mouse. I feel it enriches me instead of holding me back.
For keyboards I also like the novation launchkey or the native instruments komplete kontrol. I tend to think the komplete kontrol would give you more indepedence from a screen.
I have a novation impulse 25, an alesis q88 and a roland a500. I do use the knobs, faders and all, but for me, quickest is to go to mouse and keyboard for more elaborate tweaking. The novation remote gives me a lot of tweakability on the spot as well though.

Last edited:
Back