New pair of monitors

Finally, got myself to upgrade from Rokits.

Bought me a pair of Focal Alpha 80s. They're gonna be delivered tomorrow.

I have a question, I have a pair of monitor stands, max weight 90kg, it has a base plate of 9x9" (230 x 230mm).

The bottom of the Alpha 80 is 11.3x13.7" (287 x 348mm) .

Do you just put it on there slightly overlapping the base plate of the stand?
I'd think so as there aren't any stands that will cover the bottom of such big monitors.

PN90FL

On various websites, I see the same size platform stands paired up with the focal alpha 80s. I'm wondering because I don't know if it forms a risk if the platform is a bit smaller then the base of the monitor.
I don't see other monitor stands with bigger platforms either, they're all that small.
If it's not a risk and the monitor sits on it firmly, I'm inclined to leave it that way.

My other options are to drill holes in the metal platform and screw the monitor onto it. I don't like the idea of screwing in the bottom of my monitor speaker tbh.
Another option would be to screw a wooden plate on the metal platform and put the monitor speakers on there. I do plan on buying a piece of firm foaming to put on it as well, in the near future. Mopads are just too small and those propad thingies are just way too expensive imo, like the auralex propad Auralex Baby GRAMMA V2 versterker-/luidsprekerisolatie kopen? | Goedkope | Promo | Luidspreker & Monitor Isolatie .

add a wooden plate to the top of the stands that are at least the size of the monitor base - make it so that it has base the same size as the stand plate and second plate the size of the monitor base evenly, maybe even make it larger and add a rail all the way around to contain the monitors at their base

I can do conceptual drawing if you would like

Let me see first what you mean exactly.
Why do you make two wooden plates? One the size of the stand plate and a second the size of the monitors? So you then get a wood sandwich :o
I thought I'd make a wooden plate the size of the base of the monitors and screw that on the plate of the stand, or, make a rail at the bottom that makes the wooden plate sit firmly on top of the stand plate that prevents the wooden plate of moving.

The rail to keep the monitors in place, is that necessary? If you'd stick the monitors on a stand with a plate of correct size it won't have a rail either, right? Or if you put the monitors on top of your desk, it won't have rails either, right?

Right, got my new speakers, I prepared to make a wooden plate for it, but called the shop and spoke to some ppl that have experience with monitors there. One dude had also studio experience and had experience working with monitors on stands.
They assured me it shouldn't be a problem, placing the speakers on a slightly smaller plate.
I carefully balanced the weight distribution and carefully checked how it held and it's fine. I sit about 20cm too close to them, only way to solve is that pull my desk forward, I'll see if I'll do that in the future.

Enjoying em very much now. What I notice is that the sound level is waaaaayyy too loud for my liking :D Maybe that's because I went from 5 to 8 inch. Also, lower frequencies in lot of my tracks were very heavy. While I compensated as the krks had too much fabricated low, so I always muffled the low a little. But hey, I'm very happy with my new monitors :D
Worth the 700 bucks :D

Only thing is that I hear a slight noize. White noize, when speakers are turned on and connected to my AI. Which wasn't there connected to the krks. The krks were connected with a klotz cable and neutrik connectors. I have these connected with a 15 bucks procab cable, gold plated. I just ordered 75 bucks worth of klotz cable with neutrik connectors , see if that solves the problem. If I leave the speakers on without being connected to my AI , I don't hear the white noize, slight hiss.

Last edited:
Back