New Midi Keyboard? Need some opinions!

KillerKraut

Producer, DJ, Label Owner
I've finally collected enough cash to invest in my studio and I need some help. First thing that ive been needing for production (badly) is a Midi USB keyboard. Now what would yall suggest brand and model wise? My price range is $70, I aint looking for sonething expensive... just regular.

Last edited:
Regular still costs a bit more than that. This is really the low end of things. There are a few factors to bring into the equasion too. Do you want hammer action keys, semi weighted keys or synth action. Your price range says you want Synth Action (cheap) which is fine they work. I use a synth action board right now though I prefer semi weighted. The next question is how many keys do you want. I would generally suggest getting at least 61 keys. As your playing gets better you will want more keys. 25 imo just is limiting when you want to get into 2 handed playing and 49 is still a little shy of having everything you need when you want to do more complex runs and melodies. 61 I think is a good number but some people don't have the space for 61. Overall I think I would say get one of the cheapie M Audio keystation boards and even those are out of your price range according to Sweetwater. The $70 guys are POS. Plain and simple they will break on you in a few months and you will either buy a new one or be asking the same question in 90 days. My suggestion get your money up and spend at least $150-$200 on a starter controller with 61 keys.

Regular still costs a bit more than that. This is really the low end of things. There are a few factors to bring into the equasion too. Do you want hammer action keys, semi weighted keys or synth action. Your price range says you want Synth Action (cheap) which is fine they work. I use a synth action board right now though I prefer semi weighted. The next question is how many keys do you want. I would generally suggest getting at least 61 keys. As your playing gets better you will want more keys. 25 imo just is limiting when you want to get into 2 handed playing and 49 is still a little shy of having everything you need when you want to do more complex runs and melodies. 61 I think is a good number but some people don't have the space for 61. Overall I think I would say get one of the cheapie M Audio keystation boards and even those are out of your price range according to Sweetwater. The $70 guys are POS. Plain and simple they will break on you in a few months and you will either buy a new one or be asking the same question in 90 days. My suggestion get your money up and spend at least $150-$200 on a starter controller with 61 keys.

I mean I got about $350 budget for my studio, but I think you know that I don't wanna spend it all on a keyboard.

Thats a quite a tight budget and i can totally relate to that! My advice would be to trawl ebay for a second hand piece of gear. if you spend a bit more and get something like the akai MPK then you have a lot a functionality in one place... also great for if you want to play live.

I mean I got about $350 budget for my studio, but I think you know that I don't wanna spend it all on a keyboard.

honestly $350 might only get you one or two things. $350 might get you 1 thing worth recommending. Not to diss you or anything I am just honestly saying my audio interface cost more than that. With that being said I still feel $70 is really low balling/low ending/cheaping out which is something you will regret later. Look on ebay you can find a lot of decent stuff on ebay. I bought my first midi controller at guitar center used it was a floor model for $130 I feel your pain I have been there. But you still need to get your money up. That said buy the best controller you can afford stack up again for some decent speakers and use freeware synths until you can afford to piece together the combination of stuff you may want.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Also thought I would add if you want to get some really good bang for your buck but you are broke get about $500-$700 and buy a Triton LE. Depending on where you live you can get them for like $500 but cats in my area love Tritons and sell them for closer to $700. Ebay has them between $350 and $600 I see. That Triton is a good all in one solution for cheap that will get you going while you build the rest of your studio. It allows you to sequence comes with fx and high quality sounds. Its old but if you learn how to work the fx you can make it sound very modern. I used to drool over Trtions back in the day but couldn't afford one at full price until it became a budget item that everyone was trying to get rid of. Man talking about one makes me wanna look into one now lol. Ebay here I come

If you want to go cheap you can get a 49 key m audio one from best buy for like 80 bucks. those are cheap and get the job done if thats all youre looking for. You get what you pay for though

I'm far from the most knowledgeable on the forum. But i'd vouch M-Audio Axiom which i think you can probably find used on ebay in that price range. I'm personally a big fan of having the keys & a couple of drum pads on the keyboard.

I own the 25 Axiom... I'll tell you something, that thing is so useless.
Laying around here somewhere actually.
If you get something get a 49 key!

I own the 25 Axiom... I'll tell you something, that thing is so useless.
Laying around here somewhere actually.
If you get something get a 49 key!
I had a similar feeling working with a MPK 25 and got an Oxygen 49 and a year later I ended up on an Oxygen 61. Eventually you just outgrow not having enough keys on portable solutions imo

$350 is your budget what do you have so far sir????

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS
One free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

yeah...you can buy a Maudio Keyrig...for around 100$ and have 49 keys... but i dont know what other piece of equipment you`d buy with the 250 left... you might as well make an investment...and buy your gear one at a time..be patient!

im on my third midi keyboard atm, had 25 and 61 behringer ones but now on an oxygen 49. i think the oxygen is great but i wish i had more keys now that im a bit better on the keys. had to sell the 61 due to lack of space.

Back