Need Urgent Help With My Set Up!

Elite-O

So I just bought a Tascam US 122L and installed the newest driver for 64 bit windows cus i use Windows 7 On my 2010 Gateway NV54 laptop. I also bought an Audio Technica Cardoid condenser microphone. So I plugged everything in and Im using audacity by the way and everytime i record it sounds like crap. It sounds unclear and crackly and i dont know why. I took my equipment minus my laptop to a local music store and everything worked fine. So im guessin it has something to do with my laptop or program can someone please help me out and give me some advice on what to do to get my stuff working like it should?. It would be much appreciated since im new to this and this is my first attempt to making my first mixtape and i have the music down but the vocals sounds crackly and i dont know what to do.

Are you monitoring through soundcard or laptop?
Did your vocals clip during recording stage? (Probably not since it sounded ok at the shop)
Is your laptop properly configured?
Are you using ASIO drivers?
What OS are you using.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are not supported.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------
Doesn't
Tascam US 122L ship with Cubase LE ???

Last edited:
Im monitoring through my laptop and no my vocals arent clipping during the recording. My laptop has all stock gear except an upgraded memory and ram. Im jus using the newest driver i found on the Tascam website and im not sure what OS means so i dont know which one im using. Also it did come with Cubase LE but I lost the CD and the guy at the music store said that the newest Audacity works better then the first Cubase. And what do you mean Windows 7 isnt supported?

Sorry, Audacity is still in beta stages with version 1.3
Looks like the problem is with your laptop settings.
what audio driver are you using for playback?.......check the buffer settings on your laptop audio.
Try asio drivers.
google ASIO4ALL and download.
Install asio4all and select in audacity as your output driver.
Set buffer accordingly so you don't get stutters.
Anyway here are the computer recommended requirements from website.
Windows 7 (64-bit) ¶ 4 GB ram 2 GHz 2 speed cpu

Windows Vista / 7 are not supported in Audacity 1.2.6.

I hope your using version 1.3

Last edited:
I am using Audacity 1.3, and i dont know how to change my buffer settings i searched buffer settings but havent found anything. Im looking at sound devices and i see Intel High definition sound as well as Conexant High Defintion Sound. Im gonna check out ASIO right away and post what happens.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

My buffer setting is at 165... and latency is at -200 and db at 30

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

i jus reset the sound settings to default (buffer 100 milli secs, latency -1

Ok thanks for everything, but you mean turn my 64 into a 32? Ive never done that but if u could send me a link thatd be cool. But im sure theirs guidelines somewhere, thanks dude u rule.

If there's crackling, 9 times out of 10 it's a driver issue.

It's hard for me to say what it could be since I don't use Audacity and i'm not physically there.... but this is what you should be troubleshooting. Try playing around w/ your audio driver settings in Audacity. If they don't work well... download ASIO4ALL and see if using that driver helps. I almost guarantee it's a driver/settings issue.

Question... how is your mic hooked to the computer? Do you have a dedicated audio interface or is it a USB mic?

Also, if your laptop is relatively new, it's components should be good enough to run audio. You only really need to tweak older systems to avoid cracklings... u should be fine w/ your laptop unless it's a complete piece of crap, which it doesn't sound like it is.

Im using an audio technica cardoid condenser, and it is not usb it is hooked up to my TASCAM US122L midi interface and i jus dled ASIO4ALL and it has helped quite a bit, but still alittle fuzzy but little to no crackling. Im gonna mess with my settings a bit.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Ok so now i have ASIO installed and ive been tweaking my buffer setings from 50 to 400 milli seconds and still no luck, but the only thing wrong now is the quality of sound and especially when i raise my voice and im trying to record a drum and bass mixtape so the vocals tend to be loud sometimes.

Back