Need advice about new music computer

consoflight

Hello all.

Recently my MacBook Pro of 2011 model died. I took it to the Apple Service and they said that Apple does not cover support for that vintage model anymore. After that I did a little research and found a private service that can repair it. (These are quite common in Istanbul, they just replace spare parts from other junk computers.) I'm in the middle of mixing my new EP and have booked live performances in near future so I need a fix urgently.

So, I'm here with some options that I couldn't decide yet.

1- To repair the 6 years old machine --> 500€
2- To buy a second hand 2015 model MBP, since it still has USB-A ports. --> around 1500 - 1700€
3- To buy a new monster windows laptop for around. I'm on mac for more then 10 years now and I'm quite afraid of this switch. Apple does not have USB-A anymore and I feel verrrry uncomfortable with dongles on live situations, I added this as an option. I'd also like to hear what you think about it actually since I started to think that this switch on music production community is inevitable. ---> Around 1000 - 1400€
4- To buy a new gen. MBP with hubs or dongles --- > EXPENSIVE, still it's an option.

Any thoughts - advices - other options would help, thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Üstün

Last edited:
Build a computer or pay 1000$ for a laptop, your call.
Any machine I build will be charged 600$ for.

I do not have knowledge of mac since I never owned one in my life and use windows and linux, I do not know what to tell ya.
Windows has become the new xbox while linux is the candidate for desktop of the future in terms of trends happening after 2008.
You need a minimum benchmark of 3000 on your cpu [300$ laptop will suffice]

Just my 2cents. Which DAW you plan to use can also be a factor to consider. For example, generally, FL Studio is used mainly on Windows. While Logic is generally used on Macs. As for other DAWs I'm not sure, but a simple google search can go a long way.

A desktop computer offers the best bang for your buck as far as performance to dollar goes.

Macbook Pro's are great, but you can build a desktop for half the price with even better performance if money is an issue.

I would go for the 2nd hand Macbook pro if i had 10 years of experience with it. From my personal experience switching DAWs can be a daunting task and i wouldn't do it if i were you.

A desktop computer offers the best bang for your buck as far as performance to dollar goes. You can get cheap one form ebay. If there was password on it, you can remove it directly with free apps.

Macbook Pro's are great, but you can build a desktop for half the price with even better performance if money is an issue.

Mac seems a good device for music and video production.

Last edited:
Back