My mic is too quiet through my audio interface

ls2013

This is very annoying, I have bought 4 different audio interfaces and the same problem occurs. When I connect my Audio Technica AT2020 condenser mic to it I barely get any sound when recording. If I turn the gain all the way up the recording is still extremely quiet but now has a very loud white noise along with it. I connected the mic to an amp and the worked fine. I connected it to a different computer and the problem still occurred. I am using a 2012 Mac Mini running Yosemite, but I tried it on a imac running Mavericks, and a PC running Windows 7. I tried using an Avid Fast Track Duo, Solo, and Presonus Audiobox and I got the same problem on all 3 with phantom power turned on. I tried using, Pro tools, Logic, and Audacity but it's still the same. I connected it using an xlr to xlr cable, I used the same cable to connect it to the amp and it worked fine.
What can I do?

silly question

have you set the input on the interface to mic level rather than line level? if it is set to line level you will experience exactly what you describe

Last edited:
yes, with it turned off I get no sound at all, with it on I should get a normal volume level but it's extremely quiet.

Assuming you are doing everything right as far as configuring inputs and outputs.....how are you powering your audio interfaces?
Through my mac. I also tried connecting them to a powered USB hub.
I'm not sure if my inputs and outputs are properly configured.

Yes, I would check internal input/output settings and routing. Something is amiss...

GJ

Through my mac. I also tried connecting them to a powered USB hub.
I'm not sure if my inputs and outputs are properly configured.

ok, so give us a run down on how you have configured your current interface (a pic would help)

I added a pic of the interface itself with a guitar cable and mic plugged in. The mic was plugged in using an xlr male to xlr female cable, 48v phantom power and input monitoring were both turned on and the interface itself has separate inputs for mics and instruments so there is no switch to change line level to mic level.
The second pic is of the audio midi setup of my mac and the audio setup on logic. The recording on logic shows how low the volume is because I strummed a chord on my guitar very close to the mic as loud as I could but the recording still shows up as a line and is extremely quiet.
Let me know if there is anything else I should of taken a pic of, I'm a noob when it comes to recording so I might be making a very stupid mistake.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 457
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 19.46.27.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 19.46.27.png
    706 KB · Views: 362
Phantom power may not be required.

Never use phantom power umless the manual for the mic directs you to do so.

Phantom power is dangerous when used incorrectly.

Guitars do not require phantom power.

As for you daw here are some tips next.

Make sure you are using an audio lane.

Make sure your preferences are set up correctly for your audio.

Make sure the audio lane is switched to the mic number you are using. Just speak into the mic and look for green in the audio lane input choices. The numbers where the input level is fir the audio in is seperate than the main meters most likely.

Do NOT turn everything loud. Ofcourse.

An AT2020 mic absolutely needs Phantom power. Hit the button that says 48v

If you've tried with 4 different interfaces...the mic is probably broken. try a different mic and see if results vary.

Last edited:
I added a pic of the interface itself with a guitar cable and mic plugged in. The mic was plugged in using an xlr male to xlr female cable, 48v phantom power and input monitoring were both turned on and the interface itself has separate inputs for mics and instruments so there is no switch to change line level to mic level.
The second pic is of the audio midi setup of my mac and the audio setup on logic. The recording on logic shows how low the volume is because I strummed a chord on my guitar very close to the mic as loud as I could but the recording still shows up as a line and is extremely quiet.
Let me know if there is anything else I should of taken a pic of, I'm a noob when it comes to recording so I might be making a very stupid mistake.

And the knobs on the interface, what are you doing with those?

If you've tried with 4 different interfaces...the mic is probably broken.

except that we get this statement as well

I connected the mic to an amp and the worked fine. I connected it to a different computer and the problem still occurred.

then we have this

I am using a 2012 Mac Mini running Yosemite, but I tried it on a imac running Mavericks, and a PC running Windows 7.

which if it did not include the statements about mavericks and win7 would seem to indicate yet another yosemite audio issue

at this point I am out of ideas as I cannot hear the mic nor touch the setup in situ

I would add that the pics are less than informative, as they do not show both sides of the interface nor identify the specific interface

@madAnthony: I downloaded the manual for the mic before asking any questions/making statements about phantom power, so yes this mic needs phantom power, as deranged notes for your benefit above

Bancoach. I saw that. I dont neef you to elaborate on his post TO ME. I get it.

Plus I really dont care if you downloaded the manual.

Why tje fuk r u even talkin to me.

Prefer if you dont talk shit. It isnt for my benefit to talk about phantom power. Its for the question/postee.

I can f'n talk about phantom power. Im certified. Bish.

Last edited:
if you were certified you wouldn't be making elementary errors; you would know to check the data sheet first before suggesting anything

The interface I'm using right now is an Avid Fast Track Solo, I included an image of the front and back of the interface, I basically just have the USB cable connect and phantom power switched on, the connections on the front are shown in the other picture I posted. I also added a video of an audio clip I recorded from the mic. The 1st part is with the gain turned all the way down and the second part is with it turned all the way up.<br>

Attachments

• FastTrackSolo_Features_KeyFeature3_475xVariable.png
    FastTrackSolo_Features_KeyFeature3_475xVariable.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 63
sorry there 's only one photo of your interface

secondly, it sounds to me like the cable is a dud unless that is interface noise

try your mic with an alternative xlr-xlr cable to know for certain

It is the same cable I used when I connected the mic to the amp and it produced no noise. I also connected an electric guitar to the interface through the instrument input and it also produced noise when I added distortion. This happened with every interface I tried though.

Shut. Up.

I am certified. I am the most certified.

I am the head trainer.

You are not certified. You should abstain from your false remarks.

Never check the data sheet. Always read the correct manual.

Anthony Lowery army official

You need to setup your Daw correctly.

You also need to setup you audio interface software right.

You need to make sure the correct end to your cable is plugged in. Only one end works.

You need to make sure your audio lane has the appropriate line in selected.

You need to make sure your daw has your audio interface configured.

You need to make sure your audio interface softwares Mixer is setup.

Looking at it now I think the cable could be the problem because the light on the interface that is meant to show that it is connected flickers when I move the wire. However I just connected the mic to my amp again with the same cable and it still works with no flaws. Could there be some way the cable works only with the amp but not interface?

Back