MPD vs Maschine

Gaus

Yo i was thinkin about buyin either an mpd or a maschine and i was wondering wich one is better, pros and cons etc.
I want to make sample based oldschool/underground hip hop. I use FL studio. Wich one would integrate better with my daw or maybe i should learn to use another daw? Wich one would u recomend, and wich version?
I got like a 200-300 dollar budget.
any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.
peace!

Well, the similarity of the two devices is that they both have a bunch of pads on them...

The MPD series are straightforward MIDI controllers. They don't do anything by themselves - you always need some external software (or hardware) to provide the actual sounds that the MPD triggers.

The Maschine, on the other hand, is basically a software sequencing environment that comes with its own tightly dedicated controller. As with the MPD, the Maschine hardware doesn't do anything by itself - the Maschines software/plugin provides all the functionality, which is controllable (almost) fully from the hardware controller.

So, in short - the MPD is just a generic controller for anything MIDI-based whereas the Maschine is a "complete" production environment ("complete" because it's not quite the replacement for a fully-fledged DAW but then again it's totally possible to do almost everything beat-wise in it).

thx but what are the limitations of the maschine software? And if i dont like the software, is it equally good as the mpd for controlling my other DAW?

Say you had an mpd as a midi controller you wouldn't be able to sample with it right? You would need a separate sampler? Just curious as to what the essentials are. I also want to make sample based hip hop beats. I already have fl studio but I am tryna figure out what hardware is needed.

Yea exsactly idk what software comes with it but im sure u can use the FL slicer and put the sames into the corresponding pad

I'll give you some good input on machine I dont own a mpc but def thinking about getting one and here is why maschine is awesome in stand alone minus the piano roll I hate hate hate the piano roll in machine it just seems like a pain to do any editing to midi you have to switch on and off the grid to move notes I wish it looked more like logic, ableton, well just about anything but machine then you have your plugins there is no hi archey all your plugins except for the native instrument plugins are in one big list that you can spend a couple minutes finding the plugin you need in logic this takes maybe a sec or 2....and then. You have to route everything if you wanna use it as a plugin which is a pain in the ass most of the time I mean yea you can set up a template but when you go to start over you gotta re route everything again I would strongly suggest getting a mpd and buy the upgrade kit from mpcstuff.com

i got the maschine. what i really enjoy about is that its so convient to sample right from the hardware and on to the pads. The workflow is very nice compared to using fruity loops. what i dont like is that the maschine standalone software feels somewhat limiting to me. It feels like someday im gonna have to switch to another DAW, in wich case i could have gotten the mpd32 and a pretty dope keyboard for the same price...

Say you had an mpd as a midi controller you wouldn't be able to sample with it right? You would need a separate sampler? Just curious as to what the essentials are. I also want to make sample based hip hop beats. I already have fl studio but I am tryna figure out what hardware is needed.
You can sample in fl and assign to the pads, but in maschine u can kinda sample at the same time as your playing. But its all a matter of convience i think anything u could do with maschine is doable with fl also, just a little less convinient.

Back