Are MPC's necessary?

senicatrax

I am am somewhat familiar with machine mikro, but not witg the Akai MPCs.However, I see that many producers use them.[then sell them]. What are your opinions?

Mpcs are cool i've used them and they were one of the main tools in hip-hop production from the late 80s until recently. But in this day and age they are not necessary at all. I would only recommend them tp someone who has tried multiple DAWs and hates them for some reason. Working with an mpc just slows things down imo especially when it comes to track out time.

I dont Think anything is necessary, its just a matter of prefrence. I use the MPC3000 which has a pretty slow workflow but I know to work it and to me the fact that im "limited" in some aspects forces creativity - Let a kid play with anything in the world and he may be lost, force him to be in his room = he'll find something to do in there. It is also good for a beginner to not have too many things to worry about, if you only have the basics you will master them Before trying to do techincal stuff.

I just like the part about not relying on my Eyes too much, the 3000 doesnt chop with a waveform, only numbers and your ears, which I enjoy.

You are right. People assume that if you have certain hardware then you are better off...Thanks for the insight:victory:

It's preference.

Needed..?
As a side/slave unit? Probably not, unless you're really looking to process certain sounds.
As your main/only sequencer and studio-centerpiece if going full hardware? Yes. At least in my case and others'.

I love MPC.

If you are just starting out and already have a groove based setup like your Maschine, i dont think the MPC is necessary at all

its a good piece of gear to have if you want to produce without using your computer screen/DAW. But there are so many options these days. Have you looked into a NI Mashine or an Akai MPD as an alternative? MPCs can be pretty expensive.

its not necesery. If u make sample based music, having some device with pads helps out ALOT but if u already have a maschine mikro u already got pads. I never used a mpc before, but i think the workflow of maschine for example is faster. I would still like to get an mpc thou because they're a legendary piece of equipment.

mpc is good, but it's starting to become outdated with softwares, and controllers like Ableton Push or Launchpad

Back