MPC2500 + Protools 10 = MIDI Ghost NOTES!!

KALDon

hey whats up guys I got a question. What causes ghost notes?

I got a maxed out mpc2500 with all the upgrades and I have all my midi gear (fantom rack, korg m3, emu mo phatt, computer midi interface) hooked up to it so I can record the midi tracks in it. But I'm having some trouble with midi ghost notes triggering when I'm recording with the keyboards or my VST's.

I took it to rogue music on 30th street and they said there was nothing I could do about it since the mpc was in working condition. I feel like their bullshitting me because they don't know what the problem is, and I even went out and brought a new midi interface so I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Can anyone here tell me how I can stop notes from triggering randomly when I'm recording a midi track on my MPC2500?

Are the "ghost notes" just random occurrences or could it be possible that you just have some kind of a feedback loop with your MIDI cabling so that you're actually getting just delayed versions of the notes you're playing?

that's actually a good point

can you do a diagram showing how each device is hooked up via midi (outs to ins etc)?

Ok heres how my midi is set up:

MPC2500 MIDI IN A=KORG M3 MIDI OUT A
MPC2500 MIDI OUT A =KORG MIDI IN A
MPC2500 MIDI OUT B= FANTOM XR MIDI IN
MPC2500 MIDI OUT C= EMU MOPHAT MIDI IN

MPC2500 MIDI OUT D=MOTU MIDI INTERFACE MIDI IN 1
MPC2500 MIDI IN 2 = MOTU MIDI INTERFACE MIDI OUT 1

I'm starting to think its the mo'phatt causing it but I never turn it on. Is there something wrong with the midi chain? how do I fix this?

I'd suggest something like the following

midiHookup.png

i.e. use the mid routing capabilities of the motu to control everything rather than the mpc

Ok I see I need to connect my midi to the computer and record all the midi in protools?

Is there a way where i can send that midi to my mpc without causing problems? Do I have to add all my devices in Audio/Midi setup for them to work on the specified channels in protools 10?

I also need to know if I could still run midi data thru my mpc like before or is that a bad idea?

the motu (if the xt or micor version) is not only an input device to your computer but a rerouter with its own software (see part II in the manual) - i.e. you do not need to run protools to use its rerouting facilities

if you do not have the xt version then you will need to use protools to do the routing for you. this is not as big a deal as it sounds.

Mainly, you need to master the routing tools inside of protools to do this (I do not use PT so do not know what that involves, though I could read the manual and tell you if it became an issue)

I think the issue you experienced was to do with what we call MIDI kludge: the data rate for a midi interface is 31.5 kBaud (ca. 3.15kbytesps), very slow by today's standards - it has not changed because there is so much gear out there still being used that to effect such a change would render entire studios redundant - MIDI Kludge occurs when there is too much data being transmitted or received by a host and so some data gets pushed back to allow other pieces of data to be processed first: even though the mpc has 2 ins and 4 outs it has to merge the ins into a single data stream and has to demerge the data stream into separate outs according to channel allocations

Back