monitors: balanced or unbalanced?

D

djrethinkbeats

is there a noticeable difference if i hookup my monitors with rca cables (unbal.) vs xlr or trs cable?
thanks.

depends on length, and what local radio frequency noise you have, as well as other induced current sources your cables may run alongside

depends on length, and what local radio frequency noise you have, as well as other induced current sources your cables may run alongside
can you please explain more about what you have said bandcoach? i was wondering about the same this too.

unbalanced cable are just as good at being radio antennaes as they are at being cables: the length of the cable and the other electrical characteristics of the cable form a tuned circuit (resonant filter if you will) that will pick up specific radio stations

alternating current is also very good at creating currents/voltages in cables that run along side the cables the ac power is running through, if teh cables are unbalanced these induced currents show up as mains hum (a common, yet faulty, cause for diagnosing ground loops)

balanced cables on the other hand have half the signal going through the line 180[sup]o[/sup] out of phase with the other half going through normal between a shield.

When the signal is reintegrated at the other end any radio noise picked up on one line is 180[sup]o[/sup] out of phase on the other line and so is cancelled out.

simple answer: if you want to be certain that you will not have spurious radio noise or other induced currents/signals appearing in your speakers use balanced cables

Last edited:
thank you. then i have 0 radio frequencies in the area that i live in as i never had anything alongside what i play from my sound card.

but thats monitors we are speaking of, does the power or electricity coming out of a sound card/amp to lets say shelf speakers via rca cables has an effect?

I was going to contribute to this thread, but bandcoach pretty much said it all.

If you don't live next to a power substation or radio broadcast tower,
and you have reasonably shielded unbalanced cables,
you shouldn't really notice much of a difference for the short run it should take to hook up your monitors.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back