Mixed bag of questions about hardware and home studio help?

KarteBlanche

I have been doing beats for like 10 years or so now, but I am tired of my own mediocrity and need some help stepping my game up.

I used to use a windows computer, midi keyboard, and reason. Recently, I spent around $2800 on iMac. I also bought an Akai MPK25, Rode NNXT mic, a Scarlett 2i2. I am not all that happy with the MPK25 b/c the pads are basically useless and the keyboard is too small. I know I can get an insert to make the pads more functional but I am thinking about just buying something else for this. I mainly produce hip-hop/rNb/pop instrumentals and I like to do both sampling and scratch beats. My question is what is a good 'next step' piece of equipment? MPC? Mixer? What I usually do is chop samples using Propellerhead recycle, and then mess around with them in Reason. I find that the instrumentals that I make using preloaded samples on a few programs on my Ipad or superior to the work that I do on my computer. The drums/bass/cuts are more full sounding and less 'electronic' than what I have in reason. Can someone give me a checklist of priority items that should be in a home studio? Thanks for any help.

To get an idea of some of my mediocre work you can check soundcloud.com/karteblanche914

Thanks for the comment. Right now I'm looking on ebay to get a Maschine Mikro MK2 as it seems like a good choice for a starting MPC. Anyone use the Mikro?

I use the MKII but all the Maschine controllers use the exact same software.

Be careful if buying Maschine used... You need to ensure that the seller has done all the de registering of the software and not selling on a brick.

Back