MIDI KEYBOARD vs. MPC Keyboard WINS

Talent82

Why are people still buying MPC's when all you have to do is buy a MIDI keyboard... You have more range and more flexibility on a MIDI keyboard... You can play notes, chords, you can map samples out on each key... Someone explain to me the benefit of having an MPC when you already have a MIDI KEYBOARD?

Someone explain to me the benefit of having an MPC when you already have a MIDI KEYBOARD?
I don't really think there is one. Live drum parts such as rolls, and fast playing are a bit easier with pads, but for studio use nothing really.
If you really want to find out about the mpc pads, buy a cheap pad controller like an mpd18 for $70.

well its because of the workflow, the sound, the type of production you specialize in, etc

i have maschine, mpd26+reason and I still have my mpc 4k.....they all are great. Just a matter of preference. Also it matters alot if you have any hardware synths or not. Even though the pads on the mpc are great, the sound is dope, blah, blah blah......with all of that the real gem is its sequencer. Nothing grooves and bounces like an mpc.....ive seqenced reason, ableton, logic, etc and to get that bounce you have to manipulate those programs....mpcs have it stock....so thats why in my opinion.

It depends on your budget, your style of music and your personal preferences; with the mpc you have a hands on approach, a crazily simple interface and a generally nice way of working.

mpc sequencer and song mode doe it for me. plus computers go down to much and stuff dont always want to work together (computer problems)

Workflow is indeed the answer.

However... you can have a great workflow with anything you use. But... the people who use MPC's were usually making music before computer DAWs were really a staple.

Also.. it's nice to be able to create music without a computer screen... just using your MPC's screen and your ears. I still plan to add one to my setup way down the line for creative purposes like this (you'd be surprised what a new workflow will trigger your brain to create)... but... i don't have any immediate plans for one since it's not really necessary. Anything made on an MPC can also be made in a computer DAW... same sound and all. If you want that "analog" style feel... just route your stuff out of your interface.. into a preamp or something.. and back into your DAW. There you have your "analog feel" lol. Add some saturation and you're good.

An MPC has less latency than a computer and when it comes to laying down drum beats timing is everything.

Pads are ideal for drumming because they don't have a long stroke like a key, but it's not impossible to use a keyboard for drums once you have a feel for it and you can even connect a keyboard to an MPC if you want to.

Back