Microhpone not receiving power before mixer?

nukyew2

Seems like an odd question to ask, but I'm having microphone issues with my mixer. I apologize if this isn't the right place to post!

So I have a pair of Sennheiser PC 350 headphones and a Rolls MX44 Mixer. The microphone cable of the headset uses a simple 3.5mm connection. Without being too experienced with audio equipment, I've plugged the microphone of the 350 into the first 1/8 input of the mixer. I then plugged my game console into the second input of the mixer. Then, I plugged a 3.5mm male to male cable into the output of the mixer, and the other end into my computer's microphone port. The idea was that I could have my game console and microphone sound go into one port of my computer.

The issue is that while I can hear my game console through the mixer, I cannot hear the microphone on my headset. I unplugged the console and tried listening to it with just the microphone, but no luck. All I could hear was a very faint hissing. My belief is that the microphone is not receiving power. The headset works perfectly fine when I plug the microphone cable directly into the microphone port of my computer.

So how can I solve this problem? If it is indeed a problem with powering my microphone, then how can I go about powering it? Thanks!

Just gunna guess here, but is there a phantom power button on your mixer? On the channel strip there should be a press-able button with 48(ohms) on it.

If it aint that then I'm as stumped as you but at least I replied! :)

there should be a press-able button with 48(ohms) on it.

that's 48V not ohms (it is a power button and is about supplying a voltage and current to the remote devices) not about adding an extra load to the existing line (which is what a resistive value is)

this particular mixer is not capable of providing power to the microphone which does require power like all computer headset microphones

Give me a little time to sus out a circuit that you can ask someone to build for you - I'm going to have to hunt through some old files on my computer to find it.

Back