Maschine + 4 Track Cassette

Hey Guys

Got a question that may not make much sense but here it goes....

I want to start getting into tape overdrive, but not through the usual means of using an mpc200xl or sp. Ive been wondering if its possible to hook-up a 4 track recorder through maschine? I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to hardware as i have been using software for almost 4 years but I'm super keen to try and some-how get that nice tape compression through my machine work-flow. Any explanation of set-up and correct hardware would be much appreciated.....IE can i buy any old 4 track recorder? do i need to use a DAW? or can i pump it through machine stand alone?

Many thanks,
CheeseMelter.

The 2000xl and so are not tape saturation you get that from going onto tape hot and I love when people try new things in there production. Its going to depend on the tape machine you get and how hard you hot it to get that fat saturated effec. Keep us posted on the project.

Cheers Solacerodgers,

So if i get a tape machine would it be a case of hooking up the outs in maschine to the tape machine, then recording onto it then recording back onto my computer? If that the case it shouldn't really be an issue. I just want to bypass a daw to get rid of undesirable workflow.

:)

I don't use machine but if the box has audio outputs then yes you can go right to tape for mixdown if not then you will have to route soundcard/interface from machine to tape. Either way you can skip a saw and get hands on.

I recently picked up an old Tascam 246 4 track cassette to to do what your on about.

I'm not sure if you'll get that tape saturation/overdrive that you are wanting from cassette but it will defiantly colour the sound (which I quite like)
Plus It's great fun too.

If you have the cash might be better off saving up for a 4 track reel to reel?

Does Maschine have a multiple output sound card built in? I use an Emu 1820m and Reason 7.

I send my instruments in Reason to separate outs on the emu 1820m which then go to the inputs on the 246.

Last edited:
The Maschine hardware unit is purely a controller - it doesn't deal with audio at all. All the sound produced comes from the Maschine software - in essence from your computer/audio interface.

And yeah, as others have said, a cassette 4-track has very little to do with what's usually referred to as that classic tape saturation. It's very lo-fi and smudgy and noisy...but it can definitely sound cool.

lo-fi, smudgy and noisy is exactly what I'm looking for!

So is it possible to send my machine productions to the tape and send it back? or in anyway possible for machine to be used with a 4 track?

**some more info**
Currently using an apogee duet2 for my audio interface...not sure if ill need something to be able to use this 4-track.

I do apologise for being a complete noob but I'm super interested in trying to make this work!

Many thanks,

Last edited:
The Duet is slightly problematic in the sense that it only really has two outputs - so you'd either have to disconnect your monitors or use the headphone output. Just hook the output from the Duet into the input of the tape deck and the output of the deck into the input of the Duet and you're set.

Cheers guys,

Im going to grab a tape deck as well as an old akai reel to reel to see what i can do with the sound, would also like to try hook-up sp404 to the reel to reel. Will keep you guys updated and will probably pop-up with more nooby questions soon.

Arigatou,

You can get an old tascam fourtrack tape recorder for peanuts on eBay nowadays... First thing I ever recorded music on!

Hey Guys,

Just keeping update for anyone thats interested, Picked up a yamaha TC-520, but as suspected the duet doesn't have enough outputs. I was thinking of splashing out for the quartet because it might be time to upgrade anyway. Im not using 2 of my outputs but its the inputs i need right? I have a load of other questions but might be good to first get the right interface.

If this is for an 'experiment' might I suggest trying a more 'low cost' interface... Maybe a used alesis io26 (firewire)

Originally it was for an experiment but now I'm pretty set on doing a tape with this set-up, so i might get the quartet. Just to clarify a few things, ill record from my computer through the outs in maschine to the tape deck then record from the tape deck back to the computer? Im guessing thats how it goes?

Back