Macbook air & Logic pro X?

Martin_NL

Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for reading this post. I am Martin, a 26 year old guy from the Netherlands. I started dj'ing a few months ago. (just got the pioneer ddj-rb controller) I really love it and want to make the next step, producing my own track. I do realize it takes a lot of time and creativity, so there are a lot of things to do. First of all i want to have the good equipment. I got an old macbook air (2011, 13'',1.7 GhZ intel core i5, 4GB), really want a Pro but can't afford it right now. Is it possible to produce with this setup? I also want to get the sylenth1 and nexus plugins so that will take a lot of my memory. What do you guys recommend? At least buy a external HD with 1 TB and put all the plugins on it? Or isn't that possible? And do i have to buy some other stuff to start producing? I already got the keyboard and the studio monitors. Thank again for reading this question, i hope you guys can help me out :o

Last edited:
It'll work just fine, and if you're running low on CPU power or RAM you can always render/freeze tracks to audio to conserve CPU cycles. Lots of music have been made with a lot less powerful setups :) Synth plugins (like Sylenth) that don't rely on big-ass libraries (like Nexus) don't take very much HD space (which is very different from RAM - "your memory") at all, but yes, you can use an external HD for them.

As for other stuff, you might want to consider an audio interface at some point - but Macs have pretty nice built-in audio systems, and if you're mostly using plugins it might not be that essential at the beginning.

Back