Is Mac Mini okay for Logic Pro X? Or should I go with Mac pro 5.1 (2012)?

snailmusic

Hey! I'm planning on buying a computer mainly for logic pro 10, but a computer that would last at least 4-5 years and potentially would be enough for the next logic, if it comes out, or any other musical software. Not recording voice/guitar etc., just using midi a lot, up to 50 midi tracks, and then adding effects, of course. So, what should I buy? I'm choosing between a Mac Mini MD389 ( i7 2,3 Ghz Quad-Core (turboboost up to 3,3 Ghz), ram - 8gb (but will have to upgrade to 16gb) and SSD 240gb + HDD 1000gb ) and a Mac Pro 5.1 (2012), two processors - 2,66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon X5650, ram 16gb,SSD 120GB + HDD 1TB.
Will an upgraded Mac Mini be enough? Mac Pro is almost 2 times more expensive and I'm not sure I need to buy it if Mac Mini is enough.
There's also an option to buy a handicrafted Bizon (Russian substitute for apple mac) Quad-core 3.10 GHz, 16gb ram and HDD 1TB.
The price is somewhere in between of Mac Pro 5.1 and Mac Mini.
So, what should I go with? Is it vital to have a strong processor like in Mac Pro (2 x 2,66 Ghz 6-Core)?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you're talking about using plugin instruments as opposed to just running a pure MIDI rig to sequence external sources...

Anyway, I have a Mac Mini with the same specs, basically. 2,3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM. I don't really have CPU issues...but then again, I mostly use hardware synths and drum machines and acoustic instruments, so my plugin counts are relatively low. 50 tracks of CPU-hungry plugins like, say, U-He Diva will bring any computer to its knees - but then again, you could run a bunch more lighter plugins on either setup (I just quickly tested something...200 instances of Ableton's Operator FM synth playing a simple chord takes my CPU up to 66%). But yeah, a good CPU is vital if you're running all ITB. Those Bizons seem interesting...but since they're for the Russian market only, I don't really know anything about them.

Hey! Thank you for your reply, really helpful! Bought a Mac Pro 2,8GHz i7, 16Gb RAM. Could have gone with a Mac Mini, I think, but a Mac Pro seemed much more reliable. Works just fine!

Back