Low Sound problem *PLEASE HELP*

ossify

So i just recently bought a new pc because the one i had been using for three years started to slow down on me.
My old pc had a windows 8 OS and the sound card was made by IDT. No problems whatsoever. Beautiful sound quality.
I bought a laptop a few months ago and it had a windows 10 OS and a realtek hd sound card. The sound was lower than it was supposed to be and just overall not good for music production. It sounded like the volume was at 80% compared to my old pc and i had it turned up to 100%. Meaning that whenever i tried to make a beat in my DAW everything would sound distorted and muffled because i would make things 20% louder than they were supposed to because it would sound low to me when in reality it wasnt. I thought it was the brand that was the cause of the problem and bought a new pc. I got the new Pc like 5 days ago and im having that exact same problem. At this point ive tried EVERYTHING and i believe itd the Realtek sound card that's causing the problem. I cannot work right now which is a MAJOR problem. What do you guys think the problem is? Should i buy a audio interface, would it fix the problem? I was thinking about buying the NI Komplete audio 6 but i really have no idea why im losing 20% of my volume
:4theloveofgod:

There's a few things important in the matter.
Do you use monitor speakers or headphones?
For music production, you need an AI (audio interface) specialized for music production. Also, you need monitor speakers for a proper representation of the stereo image. Also, you need a woofer big enough to represent true bass frequencies. You can achieve that by or big enough monitor speakers, or speakers + sub combo. The latter is harder to set up. Usually, you need some room treatment as well.
You can use headphones for the creative part. For mixing and/or mastering, you need speakers. In the end, it'll still come down to knowing your speakers (it being headphones, monitor speakers or hifi speakers) and training your ears.
The AI you name is ok. There's a few others that are ok (focusrite scarlet, esi, steinberg and a few others). There's a bunch of cheap ass ones that are crap. Then you have the entry level AIs ranging from about 70 bucks to a few hundred bucks which basically deliver more or less the same quality but different sets of ins and outs, drivers, etc. You need to figure out what you need. How many mics, are you gonna hook a guitar, that sort of stuff. Then there's semi pro to pro AIs. Brands like antelope, apogee, rme, motu, universal audio.
Then, there's your knowledge. You need to brush up on the theory behind music production and sound engineering. FP, google, youtube.
A nice start for you would be this article on sound on sound for instance:
Gain Staging In Your DAW Software |
Then you need to go check out the info about mastering and tons of other theory :p

Yes (to B Side's tips ^^^^); there's too little we know about your set-up and exactly what you're doing to diagnose over the Internet a volume issue with your new computer(s). One important thing-- If you want someone here or at another forum to try and help-- DON'T buy another computer before you can tell us exactly how you have things set-up (with photos and audio example if at all possible). It might be your soundcard, but if it has happened multiple times, that also can point to user error. When you say you've "tried everything," could you be a little more specific about your trouble-shooting steps?

Get an interface, them damn things let you connect any headphones & speakers to any device yo ucan think of.
You can give consoles studio speakers or television & pc monitors via computers.

Back