Lost On Which Studio Monitors To Get

RobbyOnTheTrack

Before I go further, I produce Trap/Rap music more than anything.
So I've been reading this book and basically it says to stay away from monitors with bass ports unless you're about to drop $1500 on monitors. They say it boosts the low end too much and has its flaws because of it.

My budget is about 200-300$. I'm looking for a pair that is going to give me the most clear sound for the price along with a good thump and to the kicks and a clean, but not too flat sounding bass. Really that is all that matters to me cause I can't make music in headphones because it takes away my whole vibe and I end up with a flat sounding mix.

I guess if you all could throw out some names of the monitors and I'm hoping there's a common name. Also Rokits do have a bass port which I dont want. I bring that up cause I know people are going to say that name often. Seems like they are overrated. I see lots of producers using them and all of their mixes gave too hard hitting kicks and bass like superstar O and Johnny Juliano. Good mixes but there low ends just pop way too much

I love my 2nd gen KRK6s. I got them for 200$ used, and they treat me well.

Yeah I do believe they are good monitors but they just boost the low end too much. Which means they would be great for Hip Hop and Rap production but I want monitors that are going to have a equal frequency spectrum.

For your budget, i would suggest m-audio bx5a's
I was in a studio and used the bx8a's and was wondering how the 5's would compare..but they are great and the low end is surprising

For $440 you can get a pair of Mackie MR8s. If you don't want to add $140 to your budget, I'd suggest a pair of bookshelf speakers and a decent stereo amp receiver only because you seem to be stuck with the idea you'll get anything close to "flat/equal" for under $800. MR8s IMO are the closest you're gonna get, MR5s if you're desperate, but you'll regret not getting the 8s, especially considering that adding a sub later isn't gonna be an option since you want that certain "clarity".

Last edited:
Back