Looking for a new pre-amp

tuneitdown

Hey guys I'm looking for a new pre-amp now as my current one is showing the extent to which it goes per quality. For a mic I have a Shure SM58, and I rap. Does anybody have any recommendations? I'm really eyeing the Scarlett Focusrite 2i4 at this moment, recording gods please let me know what a good pre-amp would be with the Shure SM58. Thanks!

So are you looking at a separate preamp to be used with the Scarlett or alternatives to the whole interface? What are you using now & what kind of budget do you have?

I have a behringer 302 usb, and im looking to replace that with the scarlett. Right now my setup up is the shure, connected to the behringer, then to my laptop. My budget is around $300. +\- $50. The reason I want to get a better one is because I'm not satisfied with the sound quality of the current sound anymore. My deduction is I know it isnt the shure because it has pretty good quality for now, so the only other component is the pre-amp. Could be the mixing but i feel like replacing the pre-amp completely will give the entire sound a boost anyway.

Ok, I just asked so we're talking about the same thing - in this case, an audio interface with preamps, rather than just a preamp :) Anyway, yeah, maybe the Scarlett will be a bit nicer. The SM57/58 are great workhorse mics, but getting them to sound amazing on vocals can be somewhat tricky (or take a really good pre)...but in any case, the Scarlett will be a step up. Dunno if it's a major step up though...

Buy the 2i4 or the Steinberg UR22 it will push the quality of your recordings. In the next step you should consider buying a large diaphragm condenser mic like the AudioTechnica AT2035.

Last edited:
Ok, I just asked so we're talking about the same thing - in this case, an audio interface with preamps, rather than just a preamp :) Anyway, yeah, maybe the Scarlett will be a bit nicer. The SM57/58 are great workhorse mics, but getting them to sound amazing on vocals can be somewhat tricky (or take a really good pre)...but in any case, the Scarlett will be a step up. Dunno if it's a major step up though...

got you. What did you mean by getting vocals to sound good on them could be tricky? Do you know tips to help boost my vocals better on it?

Buy the 2i4 or the Steinberg UR22 it will push the quality of your recordings. In the next step you should consider buying a large diaphragm condenser mic like the AudioTechnica AT2035.

Thanks. Why are those mics the next step up? It just makes your voice sound different as compared to dynamic mics no? So isnt it more about preferance? I was also recommened Presonus amps. Do they get the job done? which one do you recommened me to get of the 3 pre-amps we spoke about so far and why? Thanks just trying to figure out the best setup.

Last edited:
Back