Looking for New Audio Interface and Condenser Mic Suggestions

JackQuade

Hi all!
Currently I have a Samson G track (USB Condenser mic) and a c400 M-Audio Fast Track Interface. These entry level products have suited my amateur needs so far for recording, but I believe that these two pieces of hardware are on the lower-end of the quality spectrum. What I want is an upgrade. I intend to record vocals (exclusively) both male and female.

My price range is limited to ~$100-$300 for each piece of equipment. With this budget, will I see significant differences from my current setup?

I am planning on visiting my local music store soon to test out different mics and ask for employees' advice. However, I'd like to have some extra opinions (from you all, hopefully) before I head in. I am admittedly a rookie when it comes to evaluating mics, and a downright noob when it comes to evaluating AIs (don't know what to look for!). I am brand new to recording live, though have been working with electronic music for years.

I am open to any type of advice you may have!
Thanks

Last edited:
I can't help you on a mic, but i have the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which i very like. Very robust also!

Steinberg UR22 is pretty hard to beat. The quality is top notch and at $150 it's a steal. As for a mic, you can't go wrong with Shure SM58/57. They'll get you buy until you have enough for something better. And you can always keep them around for other things.

Last edited:
Would thoroughly recommend the Motu Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid for a good price audio interface that operates Firewire and USB and has all of the inputs that you might need. Very capable bit of kit and mine has proved very durable indeed.

Back