KRK Rokit 6s interfering with mouse movements and running software on PC

optimist_music

I got a new PC not long ago, my KRK's worked fine on my laptop but not on my new pc.

I am using a Saffire 6 USB audio interface. I have tried all the usb ports at the back of the pc and no difference.

It generally makes a noise plugged into the pc. Then also makes a noise every time the mouse is moved. If I open up a say fl studio it then makes like a helicopter noise and changes as I open different stuff up. It is not just with fl studio so it is not the audio settings.

Has anyone any ideas please?

brand of pc?

mobo make and model?

is the saffire using a wall wart ofr power or the usb ports?

I have several thoughts but want more information first....

I built the pc myself.

Mobo: asus rampage v extreme

The saffire is being powered by usb, if that is what you are asking.

thank you for the reply

with the saffire being usb powered my worst thoughts are realised

your pc is not able to provide proper power to the individual usb ports, so when you move your mouse you are causing a power drain from the saffire to its port, which causes the buzzing

three ways to fix this

1) install a pci card with 4 additional usb ports and connect the saffire via that
2) get a powered usb hub and connect the saffire via that
3) buy a new interface with independent power (a wall wart of its own)

That's crazy how a top of the range mb can't power it but my laptop could!

Also my mouse is plugged into my pc monitors usb ports so I don't understand how it effects the krks. And if it was the USB port than why would a software being opened effect them. I'm not saying your wrong, just trying to understand the logic behind this.

So I basically need extra usb ports with extra power or buy a different interface.

Can you recommend either products? I don't mind doing a search of my own but thought I'd ask as you seem to know your stuff.

Thank you for the reply.

it's not the mobo but the power supply and the failure of most manufacturers to provide adequate power per port

the original power over usb spec said that each port had to deliver 2A @ 5V (10W power): most implementations made it more like 2A @ 5V per 8 ports or 250mA per port if all ports are active then that is the maximum that can be produced

essentially your mobo had line hash caused by a failure to provide the expected current: when challenged it tried to suck current from other sources and this was causing the noisiness, the chatter when teh mouse moved (it uses the same power source as every other port on that buss)

for a card any of the ones on ebay are fine - if you can wait get the cheapest from china otherwise cheapest nearest you (I have bought 6 cards this ways with no problems - I add them to new machines as I need them specifically to cope with this problem)

same goes for powered hubs - it is the sole unit on the hub/card that matters not the brand or cost

yes; welcome

Ok so I managed to get round to sorting this out this week. Just installed the PCI card and there is no difference. The interference sound is louder and it still makes a sound every time the mouse is moved.

I am glad it was not an expensive one!

Any further ideas ?

swap mouse and interface locations (i.e. change the mouse to the pci card and the interface to the on-board ports)

swap mouse and interface locations (i.e. change the mouse to the pci card and the interface to the on-board ports)

Still no difference. It makes a noise as soon as it's plugged into the pc. The mouse movement is an extra noise on top.

I have taken out everything plugged into the pc apart from the mains and it still does it. I have tried all available usb slots and still the same.

I have had a further look to see any other discussions on people having a similar issue and grounding came up a lot. One of the solutions was to use a dual channel audio isolator / dual transformer. Problem is they are not exactly cheap enough to try out for a possible fix. But I may have to.

next cheapest solution is the external powered usb hub - the power for this will be independent of your pc and therefore immune to any buss power issues within your pc (that is the only conclusion to draw from your adding the pci card with no change in the problem that the issues is in your power supply for your pc)

next cheapest solution is the external powered usb hub - the power for this will be independent of your pc and therefore immune to any buss power issues within your pc (that is the only conclusion to draw from your adding the pci card with no change in the problem that the issues is in your power supply for your pc)

Do you mean an external USB hub powered by a USB port on the pc and not a USB hub plugged straight into the mains?

If it was one plugged into the mains then it would not be connected to the pc.

Thank you for your help so far.

Do you mean an external USB hub powered by a USB port on the pc and not a USB hub plugged straight into the mains?

If it was one plugged into the mains then it would not be connected to the pc.

Thank you for your help so far.

powered from the mains - otherwise it is not externally powered.

Any hub has the ability to connect to your pc without drawing power from it; just that most do not ship with their own wall wart (power pack to plug into the wall)

Last edited:
Thought I would come back with how I resolved this in case someone else gets the same problem.

In the end it was something really simple, I had unbalanced cables!!!

I was looking at other peoples issues with these speakers and came across balanced and unbalanced cables. I was not aware of this! So purchased some balanced 1/4" to XLR male and BOOM all the interference gone!

I am still having problems with the volume knob on my Focusrite panning the speakers at the same time though. But I am going to put that down to a dodgy interface and hope to get a different one in the future.

Back