KRK Rokit 6 studio monitors

TerrydeParis

Hi!

I would really like to know your opinion when buying my studio monitors. I thought about getting the KRK Rokit 6 but some reviews of them are really good while others suggest investing in different speakers. Now i am really not sure anymore. If i got the KRK Rokit 6 then should i also get a soundcard( and which one). I know all this is personal preference but i really do need some advice.

Thanks

I bought these off a friend (local coffee house owner) haha. There good, I would recommend a sub with them though, but hey they're what? only 4 inch or something? An external audio interface is useful as well for better quality and clarity, and you can connect microphones/instruments with no latency.

Soo, does this answer your question? they're good, but yes a sound card (audio interface) can improve them.

Last edited:
but hey they're what? only 4 inch or something?

There's a clue in the name :)

An external audio interface is useful as well for better quality and clarity, and you can connect microphones/instruments with no latency.

The gains in audio quality are really subtle - because the converter quality has gone up so much in the last decade or so that even the cheapo ones on the built-in chips aren't completely horrible anymore. So yeah, there's a small increase in quality but frankly, people tend to justify their purchases with "yeah it sounds better and stuff" with no objective perception on the matter; the real gains are, as mentioned, the possibilities in connectivity and the improved latency figures (there's no thing such as zero latency though).

I started out with the rokit 5. When I didn't have much know how on what you need for music production. Very quickly, when I started to get more know how, I noticed the low representation of the rokit 5 is very artificial. It doesn't sound like it should or could on better speakers. It did help to get starting with production. Now, I bought myself an 8 inch pair of Focal alphas. The Focal Alpha 80. IMO, no better monitor around. They cost a few hundred bucks a piece and IMO, they outperform most monitors up till 2000 bucks a piece. Do I regret buying the rokits? No, it helped me to get into production. Would I buy the same kind of monitors with the same know how I have now, around that price? No way. I'd probably have to make a choice between buying the 5 or 6 inch focals, or save up a little more. I'd probably choose to save up a bit more to buy the 8 inch. Bigger woofers have a better low representation. Smaller woofers don't get that and then you'd have to pair up your smaller speakers with a subwoofer with all the problems that come with that.
I was very quickly done with the Rokits and had to wait quite a while until I could justify another pair of monitors, money wise.
The VXT line of KRK is alright. Still, IMO, no better monitor then focal alpha 80 around in the 0-2000 bucks a piece range.

Back