KORG Volca FM or KORG nanoKey studio?

DJNilo

Hey guys I wanted to buy a keyboard that had even the option of sequencing and had two on my mind the korg volca FM and the nanoKey studio, the first one also has different parameters and works as a standalone synth the second is to plug in your DAW and use it with a VST, I have Cubase 8.5 and being that the FM doesn't need particular integration with any DAW its easier to use while I don't know if the nano key is better to use with like Ableton. By the way both have still to come out by May but you can still se the specs and everything (were announced at NAMM 16).

It depends on what you want/need. The nanoKey will be your best bet for easy interface with computer/DAW/Ableton, etc. And, it has more of an "actual keyboard" (actually, neither the nano nor the Volca series have what a keyboard-player would call a "keyboard").

I am a big fan of the Volcas, however (I have the Volca Bass and Volca Keys, and am very interested in the Sample), and am a big fan of the small but powerful Korg boxes in general (I also have the Monotribe, the Monotron, the miniKP Kaoss pad, the Kaossilator, and the Kaossilator Pro). You will be able to work with other gear (drum machines, samplers, computers, etc.) via MIDI, and if you are using other similar Korg devices, there is their proprietary sync ports. So there is some "interfaceability." But hooking it up may seem a little arcane if you're not into hardware much. I think you will have, in a sense, a broader selection of sounds available with VSTs, but then again, if you want unique sounds that others won't necessarily be using, and you want real hands-on control (or at least a gateway into the world of hands-on control), then the Volca FM might be the way to go.

GJ

I am quite new to producing (been doing it for about an year) and don't know how to play the keyboard, I know, why am I buying a keyboard if I can't play it? That is in fact part of the reason why I was searching in sequencing keyboards as I think its easier if you don't know who to play piano (I'll start taking piano lessons) and as I already said if the nanoKey has a good integration with Cubase I was thinking of getting that one what do you guys think? For other Korg products is the compatibility quite universal or the total compatibility can only be found in Ableton?

The Volcas don't output MIDI, so you'd probably want some kind of a controller anyway. I'd still rather take the Volca, but that's just me :)

Back