Just Began Producing..Overwhelming!

Jortiz7

I currently have a Maschine Studio, and it's just been sitting on my desk for months. I try to watch tutorial videos but I feel I need hands on, in-depth help. I've played around with it, but I'm just overwhelmed. I really do have a passion for it, but I feel I need someone to actual teach me in person. My question is how did you guys start learning to produce ? did you watch tutorials, read books, have someone teach you in person ? Do you have any suggestions ?

I didn't have anyone to teach me when I started and still don't have. Just watch tutorials and mess around with it awhile, maybe books won't be as much helpful but also won't be bad. You also have forums.

Last edited:
Work a lot. The most of the time it will be alone unless you are blessed with someone sitting on your side 24/7.
Work, work and then some.

The feeling is overwhelming - I know; been there - felt that. And there is only one way outta it. Workalot!!

Youtube videos might be the best thing in the beginning. Do what they do. Learn the tricks.
When you get that far, finish songs. Fast. It might be a crappy song/mix, but you have learnt something and you have a finished "SONG".
Onto the next! work, work and then some.

Work, sleep, rinse ´n repeat. It´s the only way.
The more you work the better you will get; faster.

So yeah, get someone to spoon feed u or go youtube.

Last edited:
I currently have a Maschine Studio, and it's just been sitting on my desk for months. I try to watch tutorial videos but I feel I need hands on, in-depth help. I've played around with it, but I'm just overwhelmed. I really do have a passion for it, but I feel I need someone to actual teach me in person. My question is how did you guys start learning to produce ? did you watch tutorials, read books, have someone teach you in person ? Do you have any suggestions ?

I've been working with audio for 4 years, Maschine 2 has to be the most overwhelming DAW I've used. I spent 3-4 days straight learning as much as I could about it and I don't even put it through much use. I stick to FL Studio for producing and have Maschine 2.1 as a VST inside of FL Studio just so I can select my kits, sounds, and use Maschines awesome Sampler.

The best way to learn, in my opinion, is through a website by the name of MaschineTutorials. It's going to cost you $10 per month, but if you learn as much as you can within that first month you can cancel your subscription. They post new material frequently.

If you dont feel comfortable with you're equipment then you need to find a new one. Treat it like you would treat a woman. Get to know the programs and if theres no spark then move on.... Theres plenty of software and hardware out there so keep moving around until you get a feel for something then stick with it. As for learning the program alot of it has to do with trial and error so just mess around with it. Sorry I tried my best to help. Good luck

It's not about the Maschine I think. Just produce music, for hours and hours, using your computer and your music taste. Try to combine loops, try to invent grooves, try to write melodies. Maschine is a super expensive and cool tool that can ends for being just helpful to your workflow. It's not thanks to it that we learn how to make music. Music is made of right sounds in right moments.

Start by matching stuff from libraries, then learn how to make your own sounds with various vsts, then learn how to use compressors and limiters, then start using Maschine.

This is my very personal opinion, that's clear. Good luck!!

I started a long time ago when a friend of mine noticed I was getting interested in music and told me about FL Studio (Use it for recording my vinyl records but I'm using Reason for everything else now). I watched videos but I think I learned everything I know just by working at it and playing around. I did the same thing with guitar and while I'm not Tony Iommi or anything I still know my way around and can play and have fun with it.

Is the thing your using like the AKAI MPCs? I think you should start making music on the computer first. To me working on the PC is a lot easier and is a lot more comfortable.

Last edited:
Just sit down and try to make lots of loops, and keep building up. About 2 years ago i was in your same situation with maschine, was on logic 24/7 couldn't go near maschine until i started learning bit by bit and now i can't go back to logic. Just muck around and every time you get stuck google it and move on, its like practice except not really because its loads of fun.

Find your favorite producer and listen to how they use their sounds.

That's what I did and I'm getting better everyday. It's all about how much practice you put into it.

It took me only a few days to learn Maschine Studio, but only because I already have a basic understanding of how to make beats, and all I did was apply that knowledgeto Maschine Studio.

I think in your case your learning how to make beats and also learning how to use Maschine Studio at the same time. I started out using MTV Music generator, then FL Studio to Reason. Those programs do a good job of teaching you the basics.. like bpm, looping, sequencing, reverb and effects etc.

Allot of these audio software's produce the same result, they are just laid out differently. So I suggest you learn the basics to get a better understanding.. then Maschine Studio won't seem so confusing.

Helpful Links
Maschine Courses : AskVideo
http://www.groove3.com/str/MASCHINE-2.0-Explained.htm
http://www.maschinetutorials.coml

Back