JBL LSR 4328p vs Yamaha HS50m (intiial thoughts / quick review)

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
I just purchased the pair of monitors I've had on my gearlist for a solid year and a half now. Figured I should post a few thoughts in case anyone is thinking of going from one to the other.. especially since it can be difficult finding direct comparisons.

It's still early, and I haven't gotten through a full mix yet... but I've got enough time on em to comment.

Both are accurate. I opened up some older mixes I did on the Yamaha's and played them on the JBL's... and the songs sound on JBL's the same way they sound on the car/earphones.. etc. The biggest difference is obviously the ability to hear the lowend much better.

Put it this way.... on the Yamaha's.. I could still mix the low end b/c I could hear how much volume was coming from there... I could hear if things were distorting... I could hear if things were overpowering the mids, etc. However... on the JBL's... I can hear what the low end actually sounds like now lol. Depending on how you look at it.. these monitors either 1) overlap.. since they are both very good for mixing or 2) complement each other well. I feel they complement... b/c they give the same sort of accuracry... however.. the JBL's are much more fun at the same time. I don't mean "fun" in the sense that they are colored... no. I mean fun as in "you can hear the relevant freqs so that you can produce and mix on them".

From a detail standpoint.. I'd say the JBL's are a little more detailed... but not over-the-top more accurate. Adding a sub to the Yamaha's probably would've yielded similar results. However... the JBL's have room correction a remote control... those were addt'l selling points for me.

So yeah... JBL's are very good. I got em for a steal of a price. I'm not confident the full price tag would be worth it... if you have Yamaha's... be confident in your purchase and add a sub. Or... consider a Zen Pro mod perhaps if you'd looking for an upgrade. But... the JBL's are indeed a fantastic set of monitors... just a little costly if you're buying new. Me personally.. I'd still probably buy them new... however... it's definitely not bang for the buck.... you're paying for an all in one solution, without fears of adding an overpowering sub, having room correction, a remote, and still a really nice pair of monitors that lets you hear everything you need.

If I were to mix some of these old tracks... I'd say I got the levels right... but I would have added different tones to my low end things.. IE.. I may have distorted some bassliens... I may have layered a few kicks to add thump.. etc.

Back