I'm 16, I want to start producing hip hop/electro beats. I have $1000 to spend.

Viantef

Hi, I'm 16 and I'm a computer programmer. Currently learning how to build iPhone Apps, look out for the release of "SneakerSpy" next month, It's a nike sneakerbot app.

Enough babbling, for some reason I became mildly intrigued by the idea of producing hip-hop beats ever since I let my friends use my MacBook to record their songs. I currently only have a Macbook Air and Logic Pro X. I understand fundamental music theory (Played trumpet for 4 years). However, I have little knowledge on what tutorials to watch to and what hardware to buy. I don't what a Controller is, nor its function.

This guy recommended me to buy a Akai LP25 and Manschine Mikro. Yeahhhh, all I know is that people make beats on the manschine and the LP25 is just a keyboard. :sigh:

Any reference to tutorials to old threads, youtube videos would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

It is not hard to find tutorials just type it to you tube. I love landmarq music group so watch him if you want. For making beats i would say you need midi keyboard (25 or 49 key is enough) , you can do without it but it is much easier with it and maschine is good but you have other controllers so look around a little what you can get. With controller you play sounds and do other things in daw instead with keyboard. For mixing it would be good to have monitors althoug i don't have them yet. As you are on mac i think it is best for you to work with logic, but you also have garageband,ableton,reason and others (try the demos). I think 1000$ would be enough for all stuff.

Last edited:
$1000 is a nice starting place, especially since you already have a good computer and Logic. You don't need a crazy MIDI controller (keyboard), but I'd go with at least 49 keys. Look into getting a USB or Firewire interface, for plugging in mics and instrument cables, and connecting the MIDI controller to your computer. And then some decent monitors for mixing and playback. You'll probably have money leftover to get a functional mic, and any cables you'll need for your new setup.

Tons of gear reviews and suggestion threads here on FP. Use the search box, or just scroll through the appropriate forum subheadings. These threads pop up a few times a week.

Last edited:
I would look into getting a decent midi controller such as the Akai MPK49, and get a decent Audio Interface, I'd suggest the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interface. As far as monitors go, I'd say goto Guitar Center and at the same time that you're in there buying those other two items, goto the studio "Test" area and play with the different monitors to see which ones you like the sound of the best and which ones feel most comfortable for you to listen to and possibly mix on.

Another thing, I'm from Dayton! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little older then you when I started out but best advice I can give you is if you seriously wanna start making music buy quality stuff if not you gotta eBay everything once you out grow it and pray you get ur money back.

I'd go with Maschine mk2 instead of the mikro because you can do everything from the hardware. I personally hate having to use a mouse more than needed. There's a deal for Maschine mk2 and Komplete 9 together for $800 and that will get you started with some awesome plug ins and sounds. You could get a cheap keyboard like m-audio oxygen 49 to get started with. It's really good for a beginner.

Last edited:
You don't need many money to start, look first of you like it and you would do it for years

You don't need many money to start, look first of you like it and you would do it for years

Yeah make sure it's something you want to do. Actually, don't just do it because you want to be a producer. Do it because you need to be a producer and feel the need to make music. Not just anyone can make music, no matter how much you spend or how well you know different software. Music is something that's just inside certain people and it's just waiting to get out. I wouldn't waste your money unless you know there's music inside you waiting to get out, if that even makes sense. Ha.

Well, anyone can make music it's just a matter of if it's appealing to a broad audience. I kinda see what you're saying, but in my opinion, if a person is interested in making music then so be it. Biologically speaking, music is in everyone because it triggers the brain for an emotional response.

Sure, I may not be the next great producer, but it's always great to invest yourself in another skill whether you become a superstar or not. I've decided that I'll probably purchase Akai MPK mini and some nice audio monitors to just dip my foot in the water.

Thanks

If you already got a decent computer, I would definitely recommend just getting a midi, i got the m audio oxygen49, it was 125.00 when i got it at guitar center. Plug an play usb. Depending on your DAW, logic is dope, mine came with my mac though from a producer who moved and sold it to me. I use FLStudio mainly though for a grand I'd get a good midi such as an oxygen or an akai which would give you drum pads if you rather do those opposed to using keys which i think is nicer (drum pads), and get some plugins with the DAW you choose to go with. I don't condone it by any means casue its not my style, but youc ould always torrent a daw to save money there and buy the plugins. I'd def go with Sylenth or Komplete especially for hip hop

Back