I want to start DJ'ing, what do I need?

I'll offer a slightly different take on this: get a Launchpad & Korg Nanokontrol if you really want to DJ on a budget. It's more on the controllerism side of things, but paired with Traktor & decent midi mapping it'll give you what you need. I DJ'd with this setup a couple times when I couldn't bring my full setup.

That said, I had a couple years of DJ experience using a combination of vinyl/mixer/midi controllers, so a minimalist setup like this worked for me as I knew what I was doing.

For a quick, mid-tier price range, just get a Native Instruments S2 or S4.

And either way, get an external soundcard with the right I/O as you'll want that when you upgrade.

If you're serious about DJing longer term, invest in a nice setup. For house parties with friends and breaking into the scene, rock whatever you can use.

Honestly, you could spend $200 on a shitty mixer, soundcard, and CDJs off ebay and it'll be plenty for 6-12 months while you learn. And if you don't stick with it, well, no hassle re-selling equipment and taking a hit to the wallet. Plus, a skilled DJ can mix well on "cheap" equipment. Good gear is necessary eventually, but I don't think it's necessary for you.
Thank you for the valuable information man. I will take it all into consideration.

I know it was smarmish, but it's "a part," not "apart." Otherwise, it is by definition not part of the Internet.

Listen, I hope you find what you need, at a price you can afford. The advice above given by makrsamples is worth reading again. I think we've exhausted this topic. Good fortune in your future DJ endeavors.

GJ

Last edited:
Back