I want to start DJ'ing, what do I need?

CYBER_

Multi-Genre EDM Producer
So as the title states, I am looking to getting into DJ'ing EDM. I have a basic understanding of what is required to start, like a DJ Controller, DJ/Studio Headset, Speakers/Sub, but not exactly sure what specifically would be good to start out with. My budget is around $200-$300. Any recommendations would be appreciated, thank you.

$200-$300 severely limits your choices. Save more money...

GJ
Okay, money aside, what would you recommend. I have more money than $300, I just don't know what the cost would be for good equipment, that's my questions.

It depends on your definition of "good;" are you talking pro performance or "bedroom DJing?"
Are you taking computer with controller, iPads with mixer, iPhones/MP3 players, pro CD players, or traditional turntables? OR, a computer with control vinyl set-up? Do you need a PA to amplify yourself, or will you run through headphones/home stereo/computer monitors?? Or are you really more interested in "live production" (making your own music and performing it at the same time)?? Digital? Analog? Hybrid system????

Way too many questions to say "get this," but I'd say start to plan on $1,000 rather than $300 as a good starting point, if you're not talking about a toy system...

GJ

It depends on your definition of "good;" are you talking pro performance or "bedroom DJing?"
Are you taking computer with controller, iPads with mixer, iPhones/MP3 players, pro CD players, or traditional turntables? OR, a computer with control vinyl set-up? Do you need a PA to amplify yourself, or will you run through headphones/home stereo/computer monitors?? Or are you really more interested in "live production" (making your own music and performing it at the same time)?? Digital? Analog? Hybrid system????

Way too many questions to say "get this," but I'd say start to plan on $1,000 rather than $300 as a good starting point, if you're not talking about a toy system...

GJ
I stated in the OP I wanted to start DJ'ing EDM, primarily House. Nothing too crazy, just random home and club gigs. So I know I would need a DJ Controller, headphones, speakers, and a laptop; in-which I've got the laptop covered. $1,000 is not bad really, if we are talking high quality gear.

Vinyl, CD, MP3, or all three? Go on YouTube and look at some people's DJ setups, most EDM bedroom DJs will use a combination of all of these formats and have turntables, CD players, among different mixers. You can guarantee some people have spent thousands on their set up and you should be realistic here and be prepared to pay the same. I know people who've spent $300 on a single record let alone any piece of equipment. For example, a single high end Technics turntable could cost you $1000 alone, so times that buy two, add a four channel mixer, you're talking a lot of money. You need to decide what formats you're interested and that's going to help guide you to what equipment you'll need and how much money you might have to spend. Let's say you only plan to use MP3s, then a USB digital turntable/mixer will do the job and you won't have to spend so much money.

Theres a lot more to this than just "I want to mix EDM what do I buy?"

Last edited:
Vinyl, CD, MP3, or all three? Go on YouTube and look at some people's DJ setups, most EDM bedroom DJs will use a combination of all of these formats and have turntables, CD players, among different mixers. You can guarantee some people have spent thousands on their set up and you should be realistic here and be prepared to pay the same. I know people who've spent $300 on a single record let alone any piece of equipment. For example, a single high end Technics turntable could cost you $1000 alone, so times that buy two, add a four channel mixer, you're talking a lot of money. You need to decide what formats you're interested and that's going to help guide you to what equipment you'll need and how much money you might have to spend. Let's say you only plan to use MP3s, then a USB digital turntable/mixer will do the job and you won't have to spend so much money.

Theres a lot more to this than just "I want to mix EDM what do I buy?"
Well, I appreciate the information, but it's not answering my question. I don't care about the budget, like I stated in a previous post above. I just want an idea of what gear I would need, minimal but required, to DJ from a laptop for a live crowd. You understand what I'm requesting? Anyways, it's fine.

Well, I appreciate the information, but it's not answering my question. I don't care about the budget, like I stated in a previous post above. I just want an idea of what gear I would need, minimal but required, to DJ from a laptop for a live crowd. You understand what I'm requesting? Anyways, it's fine.
It doesn't answer your question, but it's helpful as it just guides us. So you want to use a laptop, meaning most of your music will be in MP3 format?

well, I would recommend getting two direct drive turntables, a 2 channel mixer with cross fader, dj headphones, and 2 powered spkers........and lots of patience.......if no tt, get cdjs . learn the hard way first. all the above equip should be about 1500.00

well, I would recommend getting two direct drive turntables, a 2 channel mixer with cross fader, dj headphones, and 2 powered spkers........and lots of patience.......if no tt, get cdjs . learn the hard way first. all the above equip should be about 1500.00
This is why we need to know what music format you're going to be using as it determines your costs greatly. For example lets say you did get two vinyl turntables, you'll have your setup but then would have to spend money building up a collection of records to play.

Just for MP3, I mean a quick google search comes up with this, which seems to be an entry level budget mixer set, the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 at around $250. On the higher end of the scale you have something like the Pioneer XDJ-RX at nearer $2000 which is completely USB driven and will open more doors for future endeavours should you wish to introduce CDs and Vinyl into the mix.

do some googling, check out YouTube, pick out some specific units you're curious about and then ask about those, it's much easier to answer than just asking "I wanna DJ what do I buy."

Last edited:
This is why we need to know what music format you're going to be using as it determines your costs greatly. For example lets say you did get two vinyl turntables, you'll have your setup but then would have to spend money building up a collection of records to play.

Just for MP3, I mean a quick google search comes up with this, which seems to be an entry level budget mixer set, the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 at around $250. On the higher end of the scale you have something like the Pioneer XDJ-RX at nearer $2000 which is completely USB driven and will open more doors for future endeavours should you wish to introduce CDs and Vinyl into the mix.

do some googling, check out YouTube, pick out some specific units you're curious about and then ask about those, it's much easier to answer than just asking "I wanna DJ what do I buy."
I've done LOADS of googling and have watched LOADS of YouTube videos on the matter, I just wanted to get individual opinions from other DJs. I like to get multiple recommendations.

Which is great (loads of opinions and recommendations). But for those that are recommending, it helps to have specifics, and to have some idea of what the recommendee knows or does not know. If you wanted a car, I could suggest a Rolls Royce, or a Volkswagen, and the correct recommendation depends on a number of factors, including how and where it will be used, and price. No sense recommending a Rolls when someone is on a Yugo budget...

Which brings us back to your original post, and our (the collective recommendors) confusion, because you did list a number of pieces that you will need, then suggested a budget that could be spent on only one item, perhaps a high quality set of headphones.

See?

Which is why I posted the links, because I think you need to look at loads more videos and websites...

GJ

Last edited:
Which is great (loads of opinions and recommendations). But for those that are recommending, it helps to have specifics, and to have some idea of what the recommendee knows or does not know. If you wanted a car, I could suggest a Rolls Royce, or a Volkswagen, and the correct recommendation depends on a number of factors, including how and where it will be used, and price. No sense recommending a Rolls when someone is on a Yugo budget...

Which brings us back to your original post, and our (the collective recommendors) confusion, because you did list a number of pieces that you will need, then suggested a budget that could be spent on only one item, perhaps a high quality set of headphones.

See?

Which is why I posted the links, because I think you need to look at loads more videos and websites...

GJ
But I did provide the required info you have requested originally in the OP.

I provided what specific equipment you would recommend for the following types:

like a DJ Controller, DJ/Studio Headset, Speakers/Sub, but not exactly sure what specifically would be good to start out with.

A potential budget:

My budget is around $200-$300.

As well as the primary use:

I am looking to getting into DJ'ing EDM

I also rose the budget when you stated that it would cost drastically more than $300-$400, yet you still failed to provide me with any specific equipment like some other users kindly did. But oh well, not a big deal. I got what I asked from other users.

OK, you're not seeming to get it, so the best I can say right now is-- use the Internet as a source of information along with your budget to choose wisely.

GJ

OK, you're not seeming to get it, so the best I can say right now is-- use the Internet as a source of information along with your budget to choose wisely.

GJ
I understand what you said man. And is this forum not apart of the internet? lol. Anyways, thanks for the info you've given me.

It is not "apart" of the Internet.

lol.

Thanks for the thanks, you are welcome.

GJ

Last edited:
I'll offer a slightly different take on this: get a Launchpad & Korg Nanokontrol if you really want to DJ on a budget. It's more on the controllerism side of things, but paired with Traktor & decent midi mapping it'll give you what you need. I DJ'd with this setup a couple times when I couldn't bring my full setup.

That said, I had a couple years of DJ experience using a combination of vinyl/mixer/midi controllers, so a minimalist setup like this worked for me as I knew what I was doing.

For a quick, mid-tier price range, just get a Native Instruments S2 or S4.

And either way, get an external soundcard with the right I/O as you'll want that when you upgrade.

If you're serious about DJing longer term, invest in a nice setup. For house parties with friends and breaking into the scene, rock whatever you can use.

Honestly, you could spend $200 on a shitty mixer, soundcard, and CDJs off ebay and it'll be plenty for 6-12 months while you learn. And if you don't stick with it, well, no hassle re-selling equipment and taking a hit to the wallet. Plus, a skilled DJ can mix well on "cheap" equipment. Good gear is necessary eventually, but I don't think it's necessary for you.

Back