Huge Issues with Windows 8.1 Pro and adding hardware

Sean Stenstrom

I love Windows 8.1 Pro, but it's WAY, WAY far from being reliable for anyone who produces music at home. Give it another 3-5 years and I believe it'll be absolutely amazing because I've seen and gotten a chance to see it's potential as an OS for music production in a studio or at home but it's unreliability when adding new hardware as well as software make it unmanageable in my opinion. And this comes from obvious personal experience considering I had to finally decide to give up the dream so to speak and switch to my desktop running Windows 7 and it was honestly the best thing I could've done. Anyway, I just wanted to comment and let anyone thinkin about upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro to maybe hold off a while till Microsoft has a chance to work out the kinks a little bit. Just my opinion by the way.

Last edited:
most professionals in the IT industry are taking the same stance they did with Vista wait until the next version of the OS drops.

Back then it was Win 7, which still sucks in comparison to some of what XP can do and offers but hey that is another story.

Now we are all waiting until Win 9 drops

PS we have seen the future and it is appalling - Win 8 is the way it is because most professionals opted out of the quality assurance program running at the time of xp/vista/win 7. As a result only low-end users were included in the program and their wants and needs were the design basis for Win8 (I know others will try to argue differently, but this is closer to the reality than other spins on the tail)

Last edited:
I have an opposite stance on the situation.

Windows 8 is like a MAC. You have to window shop around and move left and right and all that. Hard to navigate. Windows 8 is quite fast though.

I have Windows 7 Pro. Pro version so I can use firewire which sucks cuz it's mac and still isn't stable.
Windows 7 is easy to navigate and is fairly fast too. But you do need "pro" if you want to add firewire.

If you want a fast computer I suggest getting an SSD. It takes full potential of any new computer. Otherwise your limited to the speed of your slow harddrives.

Unfortunately Now I have had to buy a Hybrid and my SSD isn't working with it. I don't know if they are incompatible. if you know please PM and let me know if I can have a SSD and Hybrid HD hooked up on one PC. Thanks.

I have an opposite stance on the situation.

Windows 8 is like a MAC. You have to window shop around and move left and right and all that. Hard to navigate. Windows 8 is quite fast though.

I have Windows 7 Pro. Pro version so I can use firewire which sucks cuz it's mac and still isn't stable.
Windows 7 is easy to navigate and is fairly fast too. But you do need "pro" if you want to add firewire.

If you want a fast computer I suggest getting an SSD. It takes full potential of any new computer. Otherwise your limited to the speed of your slow harddrives.

Unfortunately Now I have had to buy a Hybrid and my SSD isn't working with it. I don't know if they are incompatible. if you know please PM and let me know if I can have a SSD and Hybrid HD hooked up on one PC. Thanks.

Actually I was working on my Windows 7 with Premium and firewire. It was freezing but usally working, I don't know if it was the new drivers for my Impact Twin but I set my Impact Twin driver software back to a year ago and to PRO version Windows 7 and it's satble now. Anyhow, that doesn't say much. Bad ballpark of process of elimination with the freezing.

Don't turn your Audio interface off while your shutting down. I always turn my off first usually to prevent freezing from the stinking firewire. Sadly I was freezing it that way too lately. Another problem I was causing.

Re

I like 8/8.1 and I like 7. Once I got used to 8. I think they did a good job with it. Ive used it in lots of pro situations no need to wait 3 years. it's stability mostly depends on the drivers imo. some companies know what they are doing with windows drivers and some dont.

Back