How to clean funky nasty MPC / MPD pads??

LmnLm3

Always Refreshing
I have been without pads for a good minute, and I found a good deal on an MPD24 on cList ($70, even though there's a guy nearby who would trade his black MPC1000 for an MPK25, I could buy one for like $200... That's another thread though!) and the MPD was the nastiest thing I ever bought used.

I plugged it in to make sure the screen was ok and lit up, then strait away took a screwdriver to it.

I took out every plastic button, knob and fader, as well as the pads and the top cover, and took them to the kitchen sink. HOT water and dish detergent. Took me like 45 minutes, each piece by hand (it was FUNKY). (that said, now I have a super clean MPD for only $70 and some elbow grease...)

The thing is, the pads still smell - not like funk, but maybe febreeze? Maybe they smell a little ... green...? I can't tell what it is, but I soaked them in soapy water for 20 minutes and the smell is still there. Whatever it is, it's making my eyes itch and making my asthma act up. Anybody ever clean pads? Or just replace them from MPCStuff? (tryna save a few bucks here!)

Thanks for any tips!

Back