Hip Hop recording upgrade

masonpayonk

What's up ya'll? I have been recording rap vocals in my dorm room for two years with an MXL 3000 Mic through a Presonus Audiobox USB interface. I'm looking to upgrade my sound but I am not sure if my equipment or my mixing is the problem (or both). I want to get to an industry standard sound as soon as possible. Do I need a preamp? A mic upgrade? Or an interface upgrade? I'm on a college budget so I can't spend crazy money, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes with the budget that I have.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks

Short answer is yes and yes. you will need a huge upgrade in equipment and also in practice to get to a "industry" quality sound. Even at the most basic set up you will need a better mic, pre , a/d, d/a, monitors and cables just to start with. Now a few of those you can bang out in 1 piece of gear ( the higher end interfaces have good pres, a/d and d/a ) but we really need to have a budget in mind and also consider you are in a dorm with limited space.

Have anything i can hear to judge the current sound with? you can even pm me if you want it private.

Back