Help for live set

socio6point5

Hi sorry for the total noob question but I make music on my computer and I use random sound effects on songs (not a ton, just a couple per song). Anyway, what's the best way to translate these sound effects into the live show, perhaps in pad format but not necessary. Is the MPC Touch something I should be looking at or is it overkill for my needs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you wanting to trigger in realtime or sequence via midi, or both?

MPC software is its own sequencer so yeah, it might be overkill...

From your brief explanation of your plans something like the Akai MPX 16 may well be enough to do the job.
Theres no editing function (to my knowledge) on the MPX like on the MPC so you edit in your other software, whack it on a card and then either play the pads or sequence via midi.

What kind of live rig do you use?
Do you use a computer on your live rig? If so, a simple midi pad controller and some piece of software to work that would suffice indeed. Like a Korg Padkontrol and reason in my case.
There is probably an option to leave the computer out of it.
Like live street musicians bringing those foot pedal trigger thingies where they have different sounds. Mostly I've seen em use it to loop. They record their own thing and they use that in the loop, live.

Most likely, there would still be something 'computing' in those rigs. For me, easiest way would be to have a computer in that setup anyway but I guess it'd be possible to have it analogue. Think of a recorder with triggers. Then maybe have the possibility to upload samples instead of recording.

Still, sounds like so much hassle while an MPC would do the same, or a computer setup. Depends all on your needs. Are you reliant on battery power for instance, all those things.

Back