Help integrating Focusrite Scarlette 2i4

bdfenn

First of all I apologize if this has already been answered. I've searched but couldn't find any answers. I need help hooking things up. Those things are: a recently purchased Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 - my M-audio audiophile 192 crapped out on me -, Numark M2 mixer, Stanton t.62 turntable, MPD24, M-audio KeyStudio 49i and Behringer truth B2031A monitors.
Basically what I want to do is be able to sample vinyl and produce music with Reason and Ableton Live. Right now I have NOT GETTING ANY SOUND out of my monitors. I have rca out from turntable to rca phono in ch1 on mixer, rca line inch1 to rca out on interface. 1/4" out on interface to monitors. I have the midi out on the interface going to midi in on the mpd24, midi out from mpd to midi in on the interface. And then, I have the KeyStudio 1/4" intsrtument out to xlr/1/4" in on the interface. By the way this KeyStudio 49i has a 2 in 2 out audio interface built in. Do I just render that useless or can I use it to my advantage? Any input greatly appreciated!

first what type of computer are you using? Ive used one of these at my buddys house and its just plug and play with my MacBook pro

I would set it up like this

1/4 Out from 1&2 on the Scarlett to the Inputs on the Behringer Monitors
Rca outs of the Stanton Turntable to channel 1 rca phono inputs on the numark mixer (make sure the channel is set to phono)

now the mpd & the keystudio both work via usb.. so either connect them both through usb or, pick one and connect the midi out on it to the midi in on the scarlett and the other one via usb.. no need to send midi out from the scarlett to the mpd

make sure the scarlette is set as your primary soundcard in your preferences in ableton & reason

Also make sure that the input/playback knob on your scarlett 2i4 (next to the big monitor knob) is set to all the way to the right (playback)

bRiCc - I do have the interface 1/4" outs going to my monitors. I have the turntable rca phono out to mixer ch1 phono in, and the switch is on phono. I get what your saying about the keyboard and mpd24. My question is how do I hook the interface to the mixer. Right now like I said I have rca line ch1 - same ch the turntable is on - going to the interface and with this set up i'm getting no sound. Also, the only lights on the mixer that show a signal are the que lights. Even when I slide the volume up, no lights from ch1.
I will check the interface to make sure the input/playback know is set to playback. Thanks for the input.

Ok, I made sure the knob on the interface is set to playback. I have a Windows 7 desktop by the way. Once again, current set up: TURNTABLE - rca OUT to MIXER rca IN on ch1, MIXER - rca ch1 line IN to 1&2 rca OUT on the INTERFACE, midi KEYBOARD - midi OUT to midi IN on INTERFACE, INTERFACE - 1/4" OUT to MONITORS 1/4" IN. Then I have the MPD24 usb to my computer. Now with that said, aside from using my daw, I would like to just listen to some vinyl without going into producer mode. I attempted to do that but I got no sound from monitors. Can I do both?? The cue indicator lights light up on the mixer but no L or R ch indication. Mixer is set to phono. Tell me, please, Am I missing a step here??

Naw, don't seem funny to me at all, big time novice here. Yes, I did everything they said to on the Focusrite video. Everything else seems to work fine. Just can't do anything with the turntable.

your issue is you are trying to connect the mixers LINE IN to your Interface.. the LINE IN is for signal coming INTO your mixer it doesn't send audio out.. you need to connect the interface INPUT to the MIXERS OUTPUT.. EITHER TO THE MASTER OUTPUT or IDEALLY the RECORD OUT.. ive attached a picture to where you should be connecting it 23.png

So i'm going rca out of the mixer to 1/4" in to the interface. Is that going use up both my inputs on the interface? If so i'm assuming my only other option is to get an interface with more inputs if I want to hook up a mic or instrument. Thanks for the patience and help. Feelin' extra new right now!

So i'm going rca out of the mixer to 1/4" in to the interface. Is that going use up both my inputs on the interface? If so i'm assuming my only other option is to get an interface with more inputs if I want to hook up a mic or instrument. Thanks for the patience and help. Feelin' extra new right now!

you have a few options, 1 is getting a new interface with more inputs but that's not really necessary unless you on plan on getting multiple external instruments, 2 chances are you aren't going to be recording from the turntable and a mic or an instrument at the same time, so you can simply plug and unplug the connections depending on what you need to use, 3, you can get a small 6-8 channel mixer that will allow you to connect more stuff as you add to your setup, 4, you can run a rca to 1/4 cable from the numark mixer to just 1 of the inputs on your interface

One last question. What can I use the rca outputs on the interface for? I have only have one turntable which has no preamp. It seems like I could do what i'm doing now with the 2i2 instead of 2i4!

the 2i4 also has midi in and out which is always useful, plus you can set the rca outputs to route audio out in interesting ways, it can also be used for djing if you plan on that.

Back