Headphone specifications to pay attention to?

Trip Lykely

I just registered and have been searching through the forum about what headphones I should buy. My skill level and budget doesn't allow me to get a proper setup with monitors, etc. but I'd at least like to get some quality headphones that I can mix/master adequately with.

My background is so far from having a clue as to what to look for when shopping. I plan on buying a pair after work today and can spend up to about $200 but would like to go lower if I can get away with it. I saw a lot of recommendations for various sets but couldn't find anything on the specifications I should be looking for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
Made with a 10 year old lap top and earbuds. Any and all feedback appreciated

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...oint-anyone-but-me-think-its-any-good-538176/

hd 280
m50x
srh440
srh840
m audio q40
hd 598
hd448
Wilkins
Vmoda
Maudio nova.
hd201
hd202
denon 2000
dt770
dt880
dt990
akg k240
akg q701
pioneer HDJ 500
Hifiman HE 400
Akg k702

Last edited:
Thanks for the response but I don't know what your response means. Those are specific models I should consider? I've seen a lot of threads recommending all kinds of headphones but none explaining which specifications make them good (adequate) for mixing/mastering. Of the ones you listed, which ones are good for a newb on a budget trying to get his skill up before investing for quality gear? I appreciate the help and any insight on specs is awesome

{Bass/Glitch} At this Point - anyone but me think it's any good?

Last edited:
The main thing is to look for ones with open shells.. so you're not gonna be bringing this baby onto busy train. Everyone will hear what you hear, lol..
But what that also does is make sure the bass doesn't build up too much and give a more balanced sound.

I plan on replacing mine with a AKG K-702 soon. They're considered studio staples, I've had them on a few times and liked the fit and the sound. Big fluffy cones
But honestly any pair in that price range from the established brands will probably be just as good so shop around a bit for a good deal on any of them. Just be sure
to look for that open back design and terms like 'reference' 'transparent' and 'linear' in the marketing lines ;)

Also keep a pair of half-decent old fashioned stereo speakers connected. They could just be old hi-fi speakers.
If you make and mix a track entirely on headphones it won't sound good on speakers! So first get it sounding decent on the crappy speakers before you go in with the headphone on.

The main thing is to look for ones with open shells..

Just be sure
to look for that open back design and terms like 'reference' 'transparent' and 'linear' in the marketing lines ;)

That's valuable simplicity for a rookie like me, thanks. Should I focus in on any specs? My budget is flexible but I'm definitely not skilled enough to justify too large of a purchase yet.

Last edited:
Haha, secret number one.. making music isn't actually hard. At least it doesn't have to be. Some folks just try hard to make it seem that way, something about ego's.
No, just look for those words really "refererence class headphone". .. the specs are usually very similar anyway or it's talk about nasa developed polymer cones that nobody really understands anyway.
The important stuff is a wide frequency range, those open cone designs and that it's designed for a natural frequency response.. not to emphasise bass or make things more pleasing to the ear.

The important stuff is a wide frequency range, those open cone designs and that it's designed for a natural frequency response.. not to emphasise bass or make things more pleasing to the ear.

...but of course 90% of even the shittiest cans are going to say something like that. I've seen even the crappiest earbuds being marketed as "20Hz-20kHz" which is obviously untrue. The open/closed back thing is something that does count, but frankly most of the technical specs are rather useless (because they're almost always biased towards looking good), unless buying higher-end 'phones.

I'll second the AKG K702s - although they seem to be cheap only in Europe atm.

Obviously I can Google this stuff but I appreciate getting feedback from actual people who use the equipment, thanks for the responses. Foolishly I went to Best Buy since they were the only place open after work. Needless to say I didn't buy anything. What's the best online store you all use for equipment?

Last edited:
Back