Thread: Headphone specifications to pay attention to?

Thanks

Headphone specifications to pay attention to?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I just registered and have been searching through the forum about what headphones I should buy. My skill level and budget doesn't allow me to get a proper setup with monitors, etc. but I'd at least like to get some quality headphones that I can mix/master adequately with.

My background is so far from having a clue as to what to look for when shopping. I plan on buying a pair after work today and can spend up to about $200 but would like to go lower if I can get away with it. I saw a lot of recommendations for various sets but couldn't find anything on the specifications I should be looking for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Made with a 10 year old lap top and earbuds. Any and all feedback appreciated

{Bass/Glitch} At this Point - anyone but me think it's any good?

Thanks
    hd 280
    m50x
    srh440
    srh840
    m audio q40
    hd 598
    hd448
    Wilkins
    Vmoda
    Maudio nova.
    hd201
    hd202
    denon 2000
    dt770
    dt880
    dt990
    akg k240
    akg q701
    pioneer HDJ 500
    Hifiman HE 400
    Akg k702
    Last edited by KonKossKang; 06-21-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the response but I don't know what your response means. Those are specific models I should consider? I've seen a lot of threads recommending all kinds of headphones but none explaining which specifications make them good (adequate) for mixing/mastering. Of the ones you listed, which ones are good for a newb on a budget trying to get his skill up before investing for quality gear? I appreciate the help and any insight on specs is awesome

Last edited by Trip Lykely; 06-20-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    The main thing is to look for ones with open shells.. so you're not gonna be bringing this baby onto busy train. Everyone will hear what you hear, lol..
    But what that also does is make sure the bass doesn't build up too much and give a more balanced sound.

I plan on replacing mine with a AKG K-702 soon. They're considered studio staples, I've had them on a few times and liked the fit and the sound. Big fluffy cones
    But honestly any pair in that price range from the established brands will probably be just as good so shop around a bit for a good deal on any of them. Just be sure
    to look for that open back design and terms like 'reference' 'transparent' and 'linear' in the marketing lines

Also keep a pair of half-decent old fashioned stereo speakers connected. They could just be old hi-fi speakers.
    If you make and mix a track entirely on headphones it won't sound good on speakers! So first get it sounding decent on the crappy speakers before you go in with the headphone on.
    lwj - local space music

Thanks
    The main thing is to look for ones with open shells..
    Just be sure
    to look for that open back design and terms like 'reference' 'transparent' and 'linear' in the marketing lines
    That's valuable simplicity for a rookie like me, thanks. Should I focus in on any specs? My budget is flexible but I'm definitely not skilled enough to justify too large of a purchase yet.

Last edited by Trip Lykely; 06-20-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    Haha, secret number one.. making music isn't actually hard. At least it doesn't have to be. Some folks just try hard to make it seem that way, something about ego's.
    No, just look for those words really "refererence class headphone". .. the specs are usually very similar anyway or it's talk about nasa developed polymer cones that nobody really understands anyway.
    The important stuff is a wide frequency range, those open cone designs and that it's designed for a natural frequency response.. not to emphasise bass or make things more pleasing to the ear.
    lwj - local space music

7. The Following User Says Thank You to localspace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by localspace View Post
    The important stuff is a wide frequency range, those open cone designs and that it's designed for a natural frequency response.. not to emphasise bass or make things more pleasing to the ear.
    ...but of course 90% of even the shittiest cans are going to say something like that. I've seen even the crappiest earbuds being marketed as "20Hz-20kHz" which is obviously untrue. The open/closed back thing is something that does count, but frankly most of the technical specs are rather useless (because they're almost always biased towards looking good), unless buying higher-end 'phones.

I'll second the AKG K702s - although they seem to be cheap only in Europe atm.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

9. The Following User Says Thank You to krushing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Obviously I can Google this stuff but I appreciate getting feedback from actual people who use the equipment, thanks for the responses. Foolishly I went to Best Buy since they were the only place open after work. Needless to say I didn't buy anything. What's the best online store you all use for equipment?

Last edited by Trip Lykely; 06-21-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks
    Made an amazon account in 2011. I suggest you do the same.

Thanks
    Made an amazon
    account in 2011. I suggest you do the same.
    Haha I've got one of those. Didn't know if there was a more niche online spot I should check

Thread Information