Headphone help

Olie

I'm looking for some really strong headphones that will last a while with a flat response that will fit a big head (for in and out of studio). I'm flexible on price.

Look at the range of Beyer Dynamic DT's...

For in and out of studio you could try Seinheiser's although my head is pretty average sized and I find them a bit 'huggy'...

Let me say at the outset, probably, most likely, NOT "Beats by Dre."

You really can't go wrong with Sony 7506s; great response and comfortable... Full but not over-powering bass. But, if you can spring for (and if you can find) the older Sony MDR-V900s, they are even better and have very comfortable form-fitted ear-pieces.

Some people prefer the equivalent model Audio Technicas (I forget the number), but the Sony 7506 is as close as you'll get to an "industry standard."

If you want to go cheaper (but still decent), the Sennheiser model that is a standard at Guitar Center (again, don't have the model number, but the price-range is like $20-$50 per pair) are decent; a little bright (not sure if the bass is lacking a bit, or the highs are a tiny bit hyped)... Anyway, those are fine for most non-critical listening; we use them for tracking phones and on live gigs (recording and DJing). A real bonus of the Sennheisers is the extra long cord; it can be very helpful when you need mobility.

One thing I'd advise against would be any phones with open or semi-open backs; make sure to get true closed-back phones, whether or not they are actually "isolation" or "noise canceling" headphones.

GJ

looking for something a little further up the range than sony 7506s. Sony MDR-V900 is discontinued from what i can see.

Sennheiser Momentum seems like the best thing i can find so far for what i want (although comfort may be an issue with these due to smaller ear cups). Open backs are a bad choice for me anyway as i would want to record vocals while wearing them.

Last edited:
Back