Hardware for Workflow

05droy

Hi guys

Firstly just wanna say thanks, got a lot of good advice from this board over the years.

I'm having a lot issues with my workflow. All of my production happens itb (cubase + 3rd party softsynths), and this comes with all the issues you would expect - over-producing, not making decisions, writing 16-bar songs, non-instinctive automation/production process, momentumless arrangement and just generally getting bored of ideas very quickly.

I've been putting money into my music funds and I have ~£3000 to spend, and i think the best way to spend this is on hardware.

Has anyone got any recommendations for hardware that would help me out? (I write house/techno)

Cliffs: What hardware will improve workflow?

Literal. The workflow is how everything works.
Daws functions and how they work/thesteps/the methods/the workarounds as is hardware.
Youtubeing how such would work would show how that would play out in actual use.

By workflow I mean the creative production process, not device/tool familiarity. I am where I need to be from a technical standpoint.

I'll rephrase it for you: my creative & production processes are being stifled by an all software approach. What hardware would help me with the issues I described in my op.

Thanks

Oh, issues with that?
That is certainly more clear, but still...
Do you mean you intend on devices that can make their own sound?Or...just plain controllers?

I'm completely all software for instance, but use controllers as an example of a form of workflow.
And that, still can be solved via research or trying out stuff.

Everybody's different, so results and mileage vary.
MPD
MPC
MPK
Tape machine
Hardware Sampler
Hardware Synthesizer
Steppers
The list goes on.

Do you by any chance even have an interface/pianokeyboard/guitar keyboard already or are you just a pure mouse/kb user as of right now?
I'm sure there's other that can help, some things I've read on this site from a few, namely the hardware fellas, they might be able to give you a specific set of recommendations in the hardware section of the site.

I was thinking both... a hardware synth would force me to make decisions, and I think a really comprehensive controller would be good to make automating software parameters a little less fiddly, but I'm open to any suggestions really.

I've got an mpk49 at the moment, which is ok to assign macros to here and there but still leaves me doing most structuring and editing on screen with the mouse.

What I think I'm trying to say is that I'd like my production process to feel hands on and improvised rather than clinical and meticulous.

Last edited:
Novation Circuit or Maschine - I have both and wouldn't want to be without either.

Grooveboxes are fun.

You could look at the Korg Electribe2 as well. Less instant than Circuit but the synthesis goes deeper (although there's a very cool editor for Circuit)

There's the OP-1 as well... Can't see me being able to afford it anytime soon but you have 3 grand so...

awesome recommendations Guru, thanks. Have been eyeing up maschine studio but hadn't heard of circuit. From what I can see it would be perfect for what I need if I could use my own drum samples and synths... am I right in thinking you can only use the drums and 2 synths that are built in to the circuit?

Looking at the circuit has given me some clarity in what I am after - which is basically a midi controller version of circuit that can operate as a control surface of sorts. So I have basically described maschine... :cool:

I guess there are two things in my hybrid setup that really changed how I work - the first is Ableton Push, which pretty much enables me to jam out without having to look at the screen and other thing is Elektron's Analog Rytm. The Rytm not ony sounds great, but it also simplifies things - I do (most) of my drums on it, using its own sequencer (although it's possible to sequence it from Live if need be), and use minimal processing in the DAW. Things get done, and that's the important part. No endless procrastinating with infinite amounts of samples.

I also use almost only hardware synth-wise and while it's occasionally a little fiddly, it's still 100% more inspiring to work that way - for me - than using VSTs. I just don't really like building sounds with software, even though the fx are all still plugins.

And I guess the last thing is that I like to keep my plugin collection fairly small. I just have the stuff that I like and that works for my sound, instead of trying to get every single EQ out there.

Circuit is pretty limited (although there was a major update on Friday that included sample import - Google "Novation Circuit Components") but it's so quick (and fun) to get something going on... That said - I wouldn't want it to be my only piece. Very basic mixer (no pan), only 2 global fx (the delay is quite good tho)
I still do the majority of my production (creation) on Maschine. In fact I tend to sample from Circuit into Maschine.
Circuits sequencer is IMO very good for quickly creating Basslines and Leads and syncs easily to Maschine making sampling a doddle... My drums usually come from Maschine and sample editing on Maschine (although by some standards basic) is quick and straightforward.
It's only when I come to mixdown (or tracking vox) that I move (bounce my Maschine tracks) over to my DAW.

To answer your question - Circuit is two 6-voice poly synths (based on the Nova engine) and a 4-part drum machine - as of Friday you can replace the stock drum sounds with a maximum of 60 seconds of samples across 32 (I think?) slots.
Theres a pretty good editor available for the synths - so you can create your own patches via computer.
Theyve also released a session librarian.
Support from go (Oct 2015) has been pretty incredible and functionality is expanding.
Its very good.

Id still go for Maschine (unless you use Ableton. In which case the new Push2 is incredible!)

Last edited:
Thanks krushing

funnily enough I was watching an interview with Matthew Dekay yesterday and he swears by the rytm.

I have the same issue with using a mouse to control parameters on a screen... very uninspiring. Gonna try to move to hardware as much as possible with a controller, drum machine and a synth to make it more fun.

I hoard plugins and that's def a problem in that it breaks up workflow. I need to address that too, thanks for the insight.

thanks guys.

I have bought Maschine studio and am caught between getting a waldorf blofeld keyboard and a nektar p1, or a blofeld module and a nektar p4. Anyone got any suggestions? lack of motorised fader on p1, but I've heard good things about blofeld keys.

thanks guys.

I have bought Maschine studio and am caught between getting a waldorf blofeld keyboard and a nektar p1, or a blofeld module and a nektar p4. Anyone got any suggestions? lack of motorised fader on p1, but I've heard good things about blofeld keys.
Personally, I'd go Blofeld Module & P4 and have the 100mm (ALPS?) fader for autos.

...Are ya talkin about one of those customizeable wavetable waldorfs that can load user generated wavetables?
not a hardware synth fella, but if that's the one? In my opinion yeaaaaaaaaaaah

...Are ya talkin about one of those customizeable wavetable waldorfs that can load user generated wavetables?
not a hardware synth fella, but if that's the one? In my opinion yeaaaaaaaaaaah

it is a hardware synth but it isn't analogue if that's what you mean

Yeah, the Blofeld has user wavetables as well. Pretty much all Waldorfs are super deep synths - my humble MicroQ has a grand total of two wavetables, and I've barely scratched the surface of its capabilities. The Blofeld has something like 60+ built in, so the being able to create custom wavetables is more like a nice addition than a headline feature...you're not going to "run out" anytime soon.

There's a wavetable maker with the same name as that physical device.
A software dude but if I had to touch hardware, it'd be one of those blofelds by far imo.
Or those things that look like reason.

Back