Thread: Hardware vs Software

Thanks

Hardware vs Software

Sign in to disable this ad
    Which do you prefer?

Thanks
    Both Most of my sound sources originate from hardware, but all the processing and editing is ITB. Don't really wish to go all the way either way, as I find this hybrid setup the most comfy.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks
    Started with and stuck to digital my entire time as a prod.
    [Since 2010]

Thanks
    I'm currently all software but I started out with all hardware. In all honesty I'm probably going to make a move back towards an all hardware setup with a PC for sequencing only. I think with hardware I'm forced to focus more on what I'm doing and to learn every little thing about each synth to get everything out of it possible. For example: I bought a Boss DS330 back in '95 and sold it in '97. Recently I've been googling a lot of my old hardware and I found a lot of shit about the DS330 that I simply didn't know. For starters, I didn't know each channel has a resonant filter on it and that filter's parameters can be manipulated via midi cc in real time. Meaning that I can record and playback filter sweeps and whatnot. The on-board effects also respond to midi cc in real time so I can change up all manner of shit on the fly in my sequences. Then I ran across a youtube video of a track some cat created with the ds330 and nothing else and it pretty much blew me away. Turns out there was so much I was missing with that box that I now want another one. I used it strictly for traditional instrument sounds like pianos, strings, organs, etc but it turns out I could have used it for a lot more.

And that only scratches the surface of my old hardware. Stuff I spent a lot of time with like my old Yamaha TG55 I knew backwards and forwards and extracted sounds from those boxes that had a lot of people like "you did that track with what???" and I credit that to intimately knowing everything about those machines. With software it's so easy that I tend to get lazy 'cause there's too many options available. Even freebie plugins sound amazing (like Togu Audio Line's stuff) so I don't even have to spend money to get decent tracks together.

That's the part of the creative process I'm missing; exploring the hardware and pushing it. With software it's "I have a different plugin for that...".
    "... got a problem with your processor? your gonna have to call pentium for that." - joey tunez

Thanks
    Software is a lot more accessible because it is all in one box, but there is something about being able to feel out a instrument or synthesizer and physically tune it to what you want.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Thread Information