Which hardware synth should i buy

d4n13l831

Well im a beginner beatmaker and Im looking for a hardware synth to step up my production game because vsts arent cutting it out for me. Im looking to get the more modern sound of right now (hip hop, pop, rnb)so which should I buy. I really want to make my own Leads and Plucks so Im thinking getting the novation mininova now and VirusTI in the future or nord lead 4. Im a beginner so I really need help or tips on where to take my production especially in Synths.

For a beginner, you are really looking into getting some expensive equipment... What vst's have you been using that aren't cutting it for you?

I have been using Nexus, gladiator, and sylenth, I don't like them because I don't really know how to make my own sounds on it and it seems harder with a mouse than with your hands thats why I want a hardware synth

Last edited by a moderator:
Those knobs and faders on vst's are the same knobs and faders you will find on these synthesizers you speak of purchasing, if you dont understand how they work on the vst it's gonna pretty much be the same result on the real synths. You should really learn how to use these VST's first before spending all that money on those synths. As far as creating your own sounds Look into:

WAVEFORMS (Sine, Square, Wave, Triangle, Sawtooth)
ADSR (Attack,Delay, Sustain, Release)
LFO's (Low Frequency Oscillators)
PORTAMENTO/GLIDE

Once you understand what they are, what they do, and how to identify them on a VST or Synth, You will be creating your own sounds more easily. Layering sounds also help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally you want a hardware synth with a dedicated knob for every parameter or you might as well just get a MIDI controller and use software.

If you really want some hardware synth just for the fun of it you dont need to spend a fortune. I recommend MicroKorg - you can find it on ebay for about 200$. Its a true little beast!

it sounds more like you are not sure how to use a synth. I would try youtubeing some videos about how to make patches

Back